A Seed Saver's Garden

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I cannot imagine having so many beautiful peppers in my garden to chose from. Your family must be eating like kings!😍
The nice thing about peppers, as oppose to nearly every other vegetable I grow, is you can save the seeds AND eat the whole pepper!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As I was munching a carrot outside today, the leaves were falling from the trees, I was reminded again this season of how utterly different home grown produce is from store bought. The corn, the beans, the tomatoes, peas, cucumbers, fresh coriander - all so delicious and fresh. Nothing compares to it. It really is such a blessing to have good, good food. And then of course there is the things you can grow that you can't buy anywhere. I just can't imagine ever being without a garden. I'm so glad that my kids are growing up seeing a garden as an important part of life.

The small, new clematis I planted in June has actually set a flower! I'm kinda shocked really, but happy to see a bloom. The picture on the tag is all I had to go on. I'm hoping this is a good sign that it'll flower a little next year. I'm thinking the timing of the blooming is off because it was from a greenhouse. The new pink one bloomed next to it also, but those blooms were much smaller.
IMG_1842.JPG

Saying goodbye to all these fuzzy tomato guys tomorrow. They were darn good tomatoes, but they've all gotten soft now and too sweet for eating. I will grow these again for sure though.
IMG_2008.JPG

By lucky chance I noticed in one of the pole bean's foliage that a ground cherry plant had volunteered, a regular Aunt Molly type from last year. So I could take a picture with the jumbo! I read last night that these guys may not actually be the same species afterall, it might be Physalis peruviana as oppose to Physalis pruinosa. That would explain how they could be so different!
IMG_1993.JPG

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like there may be more to that "hybrid" pear that I thought. I looked over the bag I was storing all of the fruit I collected in, and, while all of the other "normal" pears had rotted completely, that one is still as intact as when I picked it (barring a wrinkle or two) Whatever genes it got from the small inedible ones below it seem to have given it really good keeping qualities!. Better save seed from that one separately (same with the inedible ones).

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
And yet another surprise this morning. I harvested two of the last 3 Phantome du Laos tomatoes yesterday, as they were basically ripe. I did notice a slight blush on one, but I didn't think much of it. This morning, I look again, and the blushed one is now clearly turning pink! So we either have a sport or another off seed mixed in.

The sad part is that, at this point in the season, it's unlikely I'll get a second fruit off that plant (they are still healthy, but comparatively few of the plants are still making new flowers, same as with the beans.) So whatever seed is in that fruit is probably all I will get. It's a decent size, but I have learned good size and lots of seeds do not necessarily equate.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
On Mid American gardener I was reminded to start tomato seeds correctly. The guest was using a clear canning jar and a piece of old window screen and a screw top, I was feeling badly that I didn't Have any old window screening, and I wanted ventilation and fruit fly prevention. :hit
Then, I remembered that I had an old pair of underwear which was about to be told, "Thank you for your service," before throwing away.
I cut it into pieces are covered the top of the two jars I started yesterday, with seeds from a very nice orange tomato AND I am willing to save the hybrid beefsteak seeds, too, just to see what might grow from them.
This is what the jars look like:
saving orange & hybrid beefsteak tomato seeds, 09-19-24.jpg