A Seed Saver's Garden

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The sieve seems like a good idea. The smaller seeds are difficult I've found. and I haven't a good way yet to separate the small bits without losing too much seed (imo) in the process. I do love the hairdryer set on low at a distance, works so well to clean things up, but I've also blown out my fair share of seeds with it too. I'm using it for the amaranth, which has small seed but not that small, and I can see I'm losing a bit. I sometimes ask myself why we need to get the seed so clean, it looks nicer, but I don't think there are many practical benefits for such purity. At least, that's what I tell myself. 🥸
Well I can think of a few. For one, the cleaned seed takes up less space (since all of the dross is gone) Second, cleaning allows you to check that no OTHER seeds have gotten mixed in (like weeds).

And third while it is possible for the vegetable matter to turn into mulch, it is equally possible for it to attract mold, which can easily spread to the developing seedlings and kill them. It's why I have to wash citrus pits and fruit stones even if I am putting them in the soil as soon as they leave the fruit; the leftover juice acts as a mold magnet.)

Latest posts