Back to Eden Gardening

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So Bee, how did your garden do this year?

Mine did pretty good. I thought I would have some of my stuff make it through the summer & into fall. Sadly, the rural electric co came through and sprayed the right of way. Some of the over spray killed off quite a bit. Trying to get some stuff for fall going, but it's just not doing good.

Laneycath

Sprout
Reaction score
Growing 4 rows of corn in the garden this season so I can make some pickled corn. I chose an old style corn called Golden Bantam, as today's typical corn that's sweet and sugar enhanced makes really bad pickled corn. It's not much good for the table unless you like that real corny taste but not as much sweetness but it should make excellent pickled corn!

Will plant beans, cukes and some squash within the corn to make better use of the space.

Spring is springing here, with daffodils bloomed and the peach trees pushing out bloom as well. Birds singing up a storm. All that always seems like trumpets of the Lord sounding to me!! :weee
Oh no - I green Golden Bantam Sweet as my first venture into planting corn and you are telling me it's not good for the table. Oh well.
1626652872140.png

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Voles were a primary reason for me to stop using mulch in the vegetable garden. I still use compost mulch on the potatoes as they begin to show up on the soil surface but back in the 70's, I tried growing them under hay, more or less, like Ruth Stout's No-Work method.

I had all the rain-damaged alfalfa hay I cared to carry off from a nearby cattle ranch. It made good compost but I just laid the flakes around the seed potatoes lying on tilled ground. The sprouts showed up, leafed out and grew nicely ... for awhile. The 2 dogs were not allowed in the fenced garden. The 2 cats must not have been up to the security job. I knew something was wrong late in the season.

It was a fairly large area - about 30' by 50'. I had grown spuds successfully so this was another commitment of garden space for a winter storage crop. There was none to take in. What I called "meadow mice" had chewed on every potato but one that I found after moving the hay out of the way. Relating this story, I was once asked what I did with that untouched potato. Probably, I threw it angrily into the trees!

Oh, and the mice -- they began high-tailing it out of the spud patch as soon as I began moving the hay. I could see them after awhile but they got off with just losing their "mouse city" and food supply.

Steve
I was coming to ask about Ruth Stout and I decided to do a search and found this. I was afraid it was too good to be true. I think also slugs would just love it. I am going to try the no dig method. This fall I am going to put cardboard down and compost. Well, that is the plan, I think.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no - I green Golden Bantam Sweet as my first venture into planting corn and you are telling me it's not good for the table. Oh well. View attachment 42374
I only grow enhanced sugars as I want the “sweet” of sweet corn. IF this is what you are used to, you will enjoy it. Just pick, steam and eat.

IF curious about different types of sweet corn, go to Rupp Vegetable catalog. They do a great job of explaining different traits in different vegetables. Even mark them for best use-table, Road side stand, commercial...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I only grow enhanced sugars as I want the “sweet” of sweet corn. IF this is what you are used to, you will enjoy it. Just pick, steam and eat.

IF curious about different types of sweet corn, go to Rupp Vegetable catalog. They do a great job of explaining different traits in different vegetables. Even mark them for best use-table, Road side stand, commercial...
I don't know why you think it will not be good.

Latest posts