Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Power is still out. Trees down everywhere, blocking roads and taking down power lines. A group of neighbors went out with their chainsaws to clear what they could. All over East Texas, people are doing the same thing. County workers can’t get it done fast enough. The electric company and county precinct workers would not go out until the wind died down. Rednecks just go out in wind and rain. Heck, I did.

Winds blew out a section of the storage sheds. The back of the shed serves as a wall for the horse pen. I put her in the round pen. HUGE nails sticking up.

IMG_6866.jpeg

IMG_6867.jpeg

I put the mule and tractor in the shed. Oh well.

IMG_6868.jpeg

The cow panel hoop shelter I built in the front field had lift off! It flew across the driveway, impaled itself on a T-post and was flapping around. I went out in the wind and rain to cut the tarps off so it wouldn’t fly out on the field.

IMG_6871.jpeg

The back blew off this hoop shelter.

IMG_6873.jpeg

The only tree that gave shade on one of the pens snapped off. American persimmon, the sheep loved its fruit in the fall. I’m sad.

IMG_6876.jpeg

Quonset hut flipped over. Ewe lambs were inside it, huddled up.

IMG_6878.jpeg

Blew loose underskirting, I already snapped it ack in.

IMG_6880.jpeg

I’ve been a wet bedraggled mess all afternoon dealing with destruction. I’ve got a lot of clean up to do. It’s almost 7 PM, just got a shower, done for today.
Horse, sheep and dogs are all ok.

I think I’ll get a flashlight and read a book.

@AMKuska your comment posted at 3:46 PM. That’s not late! LOL

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Power is still out. Trees down everywhere, blocking roads and taking down power lines. A group of neighbors went out with their chainsaws to clear what they could. All over East Texas, people are doing the same thing. County workers can’t get it done fast enough. The electric company and county precinct workers would not go out until the wind died down. Rednecks just go out in wind and rain. Heck, I did.

Winds blew out a section of the storage sheds. The back of the shed serves as a wall for the horse pen. I put her in the round pen. HUGE nails sticking up.

View attachment 66953

View attachment 66954

I put the mule and tractor in the shed. Oh well.

View attachment 66955

The cow panel hoop shelter I built in the front field had lift off! It flew across the driveway, impaled itself on a T-post and was flapping around. I went out in the wind and rain to cut the tarps off so it wouldn’t fly out on the field.

View attachment 66956

The back blew off this hoop shelter.

View attachment 66957

The only tree that gave shade on one of the pens snapped off. American persimmon, the sheep loved its fruit in the fall. I’m sad.

View attachment 66958

Quonset hut flipped over. Ewe lambs were inside it, huddled up.

View attachment 66959

Blew loose underskirting, I already snapped it ack in.

View attachment 66960

I’ve been a wet bedraggled mess all afternoon dealing with destruction. I’ve got a lot of clean up to do. It’s almost 7 PM, just got a shower, done for today.
Horse, sheep and dogs are all ok.

I think I’ll get a flashlight and read a book.

@AMKuska your comment posted at 3:46 PM. That’s not late! LOL
I'm so sorry to hear of, and see pictures, of this horrible destruction. That's just awful.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Power is still off. Power company is saying power should be restored by Wednesday night with a few on Thursday. I’m not going to get real excited about trying to clean up the mess until I have air conditioning again and can cool off. In the meantime, it’s gonna be hot. LOL

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
perhaps things to ponder would be how to build shelters that can still provide shade but will allow the wind to go through without being an obstacle that gets removed. like a tunnel with perhaps a small offset to one side for shelter but not enough that it captures much wind. just thoughts... :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Power came back on a little while ago. AC is humming! Tomorrow-clean out refrigerator!
That job is a real pain. Can anything be saved? Probably not. I just moved things from old side-by-side Freezer/refrigerator to one we bought yesterday. Some spoiled stuff and some old unknown freezer burned blobs. Lots tossed. I hate waste. But it would not all fit in the newer slightly smaller one. I have been thinking about you. Hugs.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday morning Bennett came over with his tractor to help me flip the shed roof over. It landed with metal side down. Metal had to come off first before taking wood apart. He lifted it with tractor and it broke in two, so he just flipped it over on top of the other half. Then with straps, he dragged it off. We took the corrugated metal off, wrecked out some of the wood. Then he dragged the other half closer and we took that metal off. I have more of the wood to take apart. A lot of it is splintered and broken, but I got some good pieces and put them in a shipping container. He left around 10 AM. I worked on stuff until 12 and it was too hot.

I went to the feed store and didn’t take Carson. AC in truck doesn’t work and it’s too hot for him. This is my third summer with no AC. I spend my money on other things…..

Came home, by then it was after 2, unloaded feed and put in metal trash cans. The portable building was cooking in the sun and suffocating inside. Plus there was a big wasp nest in one corner so I moved slowly and tried to be quiet. I sure did want to get stung! Was going to spray the nest about dark, but by then I’d had a shower and was stick a fork in it done. Plus I forgot.

I sat on the porch to dry out several times yesterday. Only changed clothes once and that was to put on dry clothes to go to the feed store. Sweated all the way there and back. LOL

I did evening chores, Chase came over and got his feed. He’s coming over Thursday morning to help me load up ram lambs, bottom cut of the ewe lambs and three grown ewes. I’ll take them to auction. Was planning on keeping the black and white spotted ram lamb as a wether, he’s so sweet, and make him a companion wether. But he has bottlejaw AGAIN. I’ve wormed him almost weekly and have thrown everything at him I have. Yet he still stays wormy. He will go on the trailer, it makes me sad. It’s another one of those practical decisions and I can’t keep him. Evidently he’s so damaged that I’ll never get him past this. It sucks. I’m keeping 2 strong ram lambs to wether for the freezer.

This morning I’m going to drag the 3 cow panels over the fence and put them between the T-posts to make the shelter again. It worked until the hurricane came along. Maybe this will be the only one we get this year, maybe not. It’s going to be hot and miserable but I’ve got to get it back up. The ewes hug the sparse shade of the only 2 trees in the field and they need their shelter back up.