Baymule’s Farm

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i've not tried either of those. would sometime to see what they are like.
The black bear meat I tried was first the "back straps" We cooked this portion like a roast. It had a bit of a wild taste, but delicious. We grilled the bear ribs another night. Kinda tasted like pork. We put so much sauce on that it made it difficult to tell what it really tastes like! 🤣

With the elk, we tried ground elk which is very similar to ground beef, and also elk jerky. The jerky was my favorite! All natural too!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday we added water to the dirt pile.

IMG_7157.jpeg

IMG_7159.jpeg

IMG_7160.jpeg

IMG_7162.jpeg

I hosed them down outside. That was fun too!
They took a bath and I washed clothes.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first morning greeting yesterday was a sheep mauled hoop shelter. It was bent, hoof holes punched in that new tarp and I was mad. STUPID SHEEP!!

IMG_7151.jpeg

IMG_7150.jpeg

I couldn’t push it back, it was too heavy. Couldn’t be on the inside pushing it back and on the outside zip tying it anyway. So I got my rope. Pre punched holes at each end, how convenient! In one end, along the inside, out the other end, tied together and ran to the tractor bucket. I eased back, stood up the hoop shelter, set brake and turned off the tractor.

IMG_7154.jpeg

I zip tied it to Kingdom Come and back again. Then I hunted up gates to keep those hussies OFF!!!

IMG_7155.jpeg

IMG_7156.jpeg

I parked the mule where Carson could keep an eye on me. My Velcro dog. ❤️❤️❤️

IMG_7153.jpeg

I covered the holes with gorilla duct tape, ran out and had to finish patching with regular duct tape.

That knocked a couple of hours out of my morning. Then while girls played in dirt, I pushed and dragged dirt and got a pretty good pad for future barn.

IMG_7165.jpeg

It was 2:30 when I finished. I was tired! I had a chicken in the oven, fixed baked beans and corn on the cob.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
NO animal is cheap. You get some goldfish for the horse water tank. It gets to November and youngest DD can't STAND to see them die...so you buy a 10 gallon fish tank. The old bubbler doesn't work right, so you buy a new one AND a new water filter AND a small thing of fish food, then they ate through the fish food and you buy a ginormous round package of fish food, THEN, you have to keep buying filters with charcoal, change 1x/month.
The cheapo feeder fish become a $project money hole!
No such thing as "cheap sheep", either.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monday morning! We were up early Friday morning, got breakfast and chores done, got in car and went to my sisters house 1 1/2 hours away. We went to the Art Walk, block after block after block of all sorts of food trucks, crafts and all kinds of things. A band playing on every street and tons of people out for the evening.
Saturday morning we went to the neatest little cafe with an outdoor patio. The sea breeze was blowing, weather was perfect and the food was delicious. We drove around, went to Mustang Island, played on the beach and made sand castles. A storm was coming in so we didn’t venture out past knee deep.
Wound up in Port Aransas, had supper at a restaurant over the water with open sides. They had garage style roll down windows for bad weather. We watched tanker ships go by, ate and visited. Went back to DDs house and visited until almost dark. Came home Sunday.

It’s 56F outside, warming up to a high of 86F. I turned off the alarm, guess I was tired. I need to scoop dirt and move it around. Also need to get my truck inspected and new license tag today. But I’m gonna get a second cup of coffee first. LOL

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. Looks like the hurricane Francine is going to miss me and go beat up Louisiana. My son is working on a narrow spot of land on the Mississippi River down below New Orleans. His job is not shutting down, last night he was disgusted and thinking of quitting and making a run for high ground.

I have 2 large burn piles I’m going to light up this morning. I’ll be outside all day. Plus a dirt pile to move dirt, I’ll be ready for a shower tonight!