Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son came in last night with his RV camper. He parked truck and RV at his house and I went and got him. He was working south of New Orleans in Belle Chasse and below sea level. His camper was an hour south of that.

IMG_7192.png

Louisiana is going to get hammered. Hurricane Francine will make landfall as a Catagory 2. The white circle on the left is the eye of the storm. The east side is called the dirty side because that’s where it is a whole lot worse. There is a lot of the dirty side before the eye makes landfall.

IMG_7194.png

Y’all pray for Louisiana.

IMG_7195.jpeg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
That policy will change with the first death. SO HAPPY he made it home safe!!! :hugs
In Chicago this summer, there was one death and one serious injury. High winds and a construction project and Nobody got the day off.
Loss of a 28yo with a promising future is nothing to scoff at, just like the possible death of your son and coworkers!!
I have been to New Orleans, and people don't know that the city sits Below sea level. I visited there when the U of I football team played in the Sugar Bowl, 2002, and then went on 3 Carnival Cruises that departed from New Orleans.
New Orleans is spot on with cruise customers and very well organized. We didn't want to take last pickings from local hotels so we stayed at a nice place an hour away, in Hammond, LA., on the drive down.
I spoke to a fellow cruise passenger From Louisiana about Hurricane Katrina, and she lives about an hour north of New Orleans, where it is very flat.
She told me that Katrina, after making landfall, flattened Her hometown and took out landmarks and street signs.
She said that everybody had a hard time negotiating any kind of local travel bc you didn't know where you were when driving around.
Weather Nation, when giving primers on Hurricanes, noted that the east US coast has extraordinary storm surge due to low sea levels surrounding the coast from Texas east and north to Maine. Places like Japan don't have that and don't have any real storm surge.
So...point is that Hurricane Francis poses a Real threat to Louisiana this week. 🙏🙏🙏
Please pray for the people there...10 ft storm surge expected! :eek:
🐑
Your sheep pen looks great now!!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bennett had 9 hogs on the trap today. 2 sows, maybe 135 pounds each and 7 little ones. 3 of those were maybe 50-60 pounds, so I took those, his cousin had first dibs on the sows and he took the other 4 little ones. We put some of the little ones in my mule because they would not fit on the back of the 4 wheeler.

IMG_7198.jpeg

IMG_7199.jpeg

Then son and I hung 2 off the tractor bucket, skinned, gutted and quartered. Packed on ice. Then we did the third one. They are on ice, I process Friday or Saturday.

Naturally it rained. A misty drizzle to a harder drizzle, misty, miserable. Son got a shower while I did chores. I had fixed a pot of beans and link sausage this morning, so I heated it up and made cornbread.

Son is supposed to be back to work Friday evening. I’ll give him breakfast sausage I made last week to take back with him.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thursday I worked outside. I’ve been trying to make the pens better in preparation for winter. I had already made a dirt pad for the hoop shelter, but wanted another cow panel for it. The round pen had 2 in it. They were stapled to the railroad cross tie posts and wood slats. Then welded wire was stapled over them. Dog fennel and some blackberry vines were growing through it. I used pruning loppers to cut away them. Then I had to get the welded wire pulled away, finding wire twists and removing them. Finally I could use fencing pliers to pull the staples and pull the cow panel out. I dragged it to the pens, drove 2 T-posts on one side, 1 on the other. I positioned the panel against the 2 posts and popped it up. I pushed it behind the 1 post and drove in another. It was up. Then I unfolded a tarp and put that up. It wasn’t quite long enough but it was the closest I could find.

IMG_7203.jpeg

I had my son to stand up 2 of the Quonset huts for small livestock. I threaded my way in the gate, between T-posts and dumped 3 buckets for each one.

IMG_7201.jpeg

IMG_7202.jpeg

The sky was dark, I thought it would rain, but it didn’t. I raked the dirt out with a garden rake and pushed the huts over.

IMG_7204.jpeg

IMG_7205.jpeg

I still have more to do, I’m trying to raise the level of their shelters in an effort to give them a dry place when I get the winter rains.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thursday I worked outside. I’ve been trying to make the pens better in preparation for winter. I had already made a dirt pad for the hoop shelter, but wanted another cow panel for it. The round pen had 2 in it. They were stapled to the railroad cross tie posts and wood slats. Then welded wire was stapled over them. Dog fennel and some blackberry vines were growing through it. I used pruning loppers to cut away them. Then I had to get the welded wire pulled away, finding wire twists and removing them. Finally I could use fencing pliers to pull the staples and pull the cow panel out. I dragged it to the pens, drove 2 T-posts on one side, 1 on the other. I positioned the panel against the 2 posts and popped it up. I pushed it behind the 1 post and drove in another. It was up. Then I unfolded a tarp and put that up. It wasn’t quite long enough but it was the closest I could find.

View attachment 68884

I had my son to stand up 2 of the Quonset huts for small livestock. I threaded my way in the gate, between T-posts and dumped 3 buckets for each one.

View attachment 68882

View attachment 68883

The sky was dark, I thought it would rain, but it didn’t. I raked the dirt out with a garden rake and pushed the huts over.

View attachment 68885

View attachment 68886

I still have more to do, I’m trying to raise the level of their shelters in an effort to give them a dry place when I get the winter rains.

Son didn’t go back to Louisiana. He found a 45 day turnaround in Port Lavaca, Texas and will start there next week. He likes to be off from Thanksgiving to New Year, so that fits his schedule.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

View attachment 68884

View attachment 68882

View attachment 68883

View attachment 68885

View attachment 68886

Your animals are very lucky to have an owner that takes good care of them. 😍

Latest posts