Baymule’s Farm

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
T
Those pigs are very destructive. My back field still has the run down barbed wire fence. The hogs have plowed it like mini bulldozers. Holes, bumps, they have torn up the grass and it’s so rough that I have to put the Kawasaki mule in 4 wheel drive. Once I get it fenced like the other 2 fields, it will keep them out. I’ll have a lot of work, dragging a disc, with tires tied to the back of it to smooth it back out. One pass won’t be enough either. Neighbors hay field is likewise being destroyed. Plus those things are mean! I don’t walk in my back field, it’s not safe. I drive the mule or tractor.
The threat has been neutralized, at least for now. Are there large populations of these feral hogs still running loose? Will electric fencing keep them out? I know a lot of people near me use electric to contain domestic pigs, but these guys are a breed apart it seems.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The threat has been neutralized, at least for now. Are there large populations of these feral hogs still running loose? Will electric fencing keep them out? I know a lot of people near me use electric to contain domestic pigs, but these guys are a breed apart it seems.

it is open season on them in our area, they're not common, but they can do a lot of damage - someone down the road from us had a lot of a field ravaged by them and i saw how quickly they could do it.

a few years ago a wild boar over 300lbs was hunted not very far from here. people introduced them on purpose for hunting. :( i'm glad to say that so far they have not been here.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
T

There are literally millions of feral hogs in Texas. If you are hunting your own land or have land owner’s permission, you don’t even need a hunting license. It’s legal to shoot them, day or night, all year. You can even shoot them from a helicopter. You can’t shoot them off the road, for obvious reasons.

These two showed signs of having some domestic hog in them. A Piney Woods Rooter hog has a LONG snout, they are small and lean, efficient at destruction. Meaner than a rattlesnake and practically no predators. When domestic hogs get loose, they go wild quickly and breed with the Piney Woods Rooter hogs.

A friend showed me pictures of feral hogs her son and a friend killed. They loaded up piles of corn with tannerite , the hogs ate it and their guts exploded. Must’ve been 20 or 30 big dead hogs. There are so many that you just can’t kill them all. Naturally those were unfit for meat.

There are thousand of acres around me. Lush pastures, hay fields, woods and heavy forest. Creeks, ponds, plenty of water and plenty to eat. Great habitat for hogs. They eat whatever they find, ground dwelling bird nests, newborn fawns, insects, grass, seeds, acorns in the fall, you name it, they eat it, even snakes.

When I raised domestic feeder pigs for the freezer, I did not go in their pen. I had a bin type feeder that I could fill from outside the pen and a barrel on the outside for water that had a short pipe extending through the wire with a nipple on it. The pigs bit down on the nipple to release the water. Going in a pen with 2 or 3 hogs gave me the creeps. So I built a shed and pen, set up so I could care for them from outside the pen.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Such a shame that government wasted money cannot be put towards harvesting their meat to feed the hungry. :somad
Texas isn't the only state that has a problem with them.
We have the same "no solution" with Asian Carp in the Illinois River. Easy peasy to harvest, Very healthy to eat, but no real solution to rid ourselves of them. The ONLY reason that they haven't invaded Lake Michigan is bc of the lock system, where they are monitored.
If they make it to Lake Michigan, ALL 5 Great Lakes will be invaded and their populations will EXPLODE!!!
1727354591436.png

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Bay, I've been without a desktop and phone screen is too small to be on here. But I'm back and have caught up with all your hard work and projects. Never knew you had wild boars on your property. It's nice to have all that free meat and good thing you have the skills to process them. You know I wish I was there to help you with all the work on your homestead LOL.

Mary
I’ve been missing you Mary! Glad to have you back. Fly into Dallas, I’ll pick you up!

Latest posts