Baymule’s Farm

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chicken fried steak—from the feral boar—it was delicious. Home made cream corn, corn bought from a family roadside stand next to cornfield, and potatoes. Glass of lemonade to go with it. @seedcorn the steak was not gamey at all, it could be passed off as beef.

View attachment 69523
Everyone sees you as a saint but this proves you are evil! Makes my mouth water and I can’t even smell it…….😜

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Chicken fried steak—from the feral boar—it was delicious. Home made cream corn, corn bought from a family roadside stand next to cornfield, and potatoes. Glass of lemonade to go with it. @seedcorn the steak was not gamey at all, it could be passed off as beef.

View attachment 69523
I've got corn on the cob here.
I'd like to try making cream corn. Would you mind sharing what your recipe, is?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fresh corn, sharp knife, big pan and for a beginner, probably best outside.

To shuck corn, I use a cutting board or a plan ol’ board. I use a heavy knife. I feel the base of the corn to find the end of the cob, chop. Then I feel the tip of the corn to find where the kernels start, chop. Then I can grab silks and shucks and pull them down. Go around the cob, pulling off shucks and silks. Take corn in house and wash, try to get all the silks off that you can.

Edited to add, if just doing a few ears for immediate consumption, you don’t have to blanch it.

Take corn back outside. I use a graniteware roasting pan. Stand cob up and with sharp paring knife, cut tops off kernels all the way down. Make cut again in the same place. Do it again. Turn cob ad repeat, until you have gone all the way around the cob. Since cuts are square and cob is round, there will be some semi-cut ridges, cut them too. To get the “milk” off the cob, scrape it with the knife. The milk will splatter, that’s why to do it outside. Dried corn splatters are difficult to clean up!

If putting up corn for the freezer, put 4 cups of creamed corn in Pyrex baking dish and put in preheated oven at 350F for 5 minutes. Take out, stir and put back in the oven for another 5 minutes. If less corn, then use less time, cut it down to 8 or even 6 minutes. Basically you want it to be steamy when you take the corn out of the oven. That blanches the corn and stops the enzyme action.

Let cool. For just me, I put 1 cup of corn in a zip lock baggie and roll it up, forcing the air out and seal it. 1 cup gives me 2 meals.

I just took a picture of the corn I put up in May. My son and I were traveling back roads on our way home from Corpus Christi. There was a farm stand next to the family’s corn field and I bought 4 dozen ears of sweet corn.

IMG_7326.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
To cook the corn, a small pan, melt some butter, add corn and simmer a few minutes.

I also like to fry some bacon in an iron skillet, crisp, take bacon out, set aside. I don’t drain off all the bacon grease, gotta have some in the skillet. Add cream corn, crumble bacon over the top and bake in the oven until edges are light brown.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ve been working outside all day. Came in and used this morning’s leftover coffee, added sugar, milk and ice for a refreshing drink. I got sons zero turn mower out, had 2 flat tires. I couldn’t read the PS in order to air up the tires, so I took pictures, expanded the picture and could read 28 PSI. I felt real smart. LOL

I mowed areas where I haven’t been able to get the tractor up to. I left the best grass for the ewe lambs. I finally blocked off the open spot that used to be a shed until hurricane Beryl blew it apart a few months ago. The ewe lambs didn’t need to get up in there and get into things. They were enjoying the grass. I moved stuff so I could mow. Where does all this crap come from???
I sharpened a machete and chopped weeds too close to the house for the mower to get. I aired up tires on my truck, parked it and carried the air compressor back to the “good” shed that has doors on it. I haven’t done anything momentous today, just a bunch of little stuff, but the yard sure looks nicer. It still needs some more work but I’m happy with what I got done.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have two flat tires on the rider deer lawn tractor. Front and back on the right side. I keep filling the tires up . One leak is pretty big so I may have to change the tire out.or I could try the flat tire seal stuff.
Will have to call a lawnmower mobil service can’t get the oil filter off or the front tire.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have two flat tires on the rider deer lawn tractor. Front and back on the right side. I keep filling the tires up . One leak is pretty big so I may have to change the tire out.or I could try the flat tire seal stuff.
If you could find the big leak, you could plug it. Auto parts stores sell a plug kit. Ask for instructions and have someone at the store explain in detail. It’s not real hard to do.

To find the leak, mix up some soapy water in a spray bottle. Air the tire up, over inflate it a little, spray with soapy water. As the tire loses air, it will make bubbles. Then proceed with the plug.

If you succeed, celebrate by posting it with pictures. If it doesn’t work, celebrate it and post pictures, at least you learned something new and will probably knock it out of the park the next time. If you screw it up, celebrate it with pictures of your NEW TIRE!!! :lol: :lol:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just make a cream sauce of milk, cream, and melted butter with flour added as a thickener (use an egg beater to blend these while it is heating) and add salt and lots of black pepper. Then combine with cooked corn scraped from the cobs with a sharp knife.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you could find the big leak, you could plug it. Auto parts stores sell a plug kit. Ask for instructions and have someone at the store explain in detail. It’s not real hard to do.

To find the leak, mix up some soapy water in a spray bottle. Air the tire up, over inflate it a little, spray with soapy water. As the tire loses air, it will make bubbles. Then proceed with the plug.

If you succeed, celebrate by posting it with pictures. If it doesn’t work, celebrate it and post pictures, at least you learned something new and will probably knock it out of the park the next time. If you screw it up, celebrate it with pictures of your NEW TIRE!!! :lol: :lol:
Thank you for the soapy spray trouble shoot idea.
One tire has a hole on the inside near the rim area facing toward the engine from a large dried blackberry cane that actually punctured the tire which went across the front wheel base and locked between the front 2 tires and I had to pull it out and that’s where that leak is. It was really tricky getting it out.

The other tire had already had tubes put in it and twice patched and the nipple thingy is wonky too. I already have the tires just need to remove the old ones off the rims and replace them with the new ones. I’d rather have new tires as the tires are over 6 years old and the back tires are almost bald. Would be nice to have better traction too.

It’s always something. Thanks again. Appreciate your help. 👍

Latest posts