Birds

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you West Coasters have experience with this little guy’s behavior?

You will see from the map that they live inland quite a distance but that is almost entirely South of the ID/NV and WA/OR boundaries. So, they shouldn’t be up here. Except that the range extends into western Canada on the coast. Twelve month residents although it’s noted that they “wander” some during Winter.

This isn’t Winter and 150-300 miles north of their range. I am familiar with most other small birds that they somewhat resemble but these are especially tiny. They hide under plants – hop around and not all that easily frightened into flying.

I have seen them about this time of year, in 3 of the most recent years. Flocks? No, maybe a pair but only 1 this year on 4 different occasions over 5 days.

Steve

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In Oregon yellow rumpled warbler is common . I see them flooding in huge flocks especially in fall flying south.

Also thought this was of interest: It is also time for the annnual flight south of the Vaux swifts to do their normal ascent down the chimney every year at a school for an over night rest.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The cliffs in eastern Oregon have some delightful communities of Swifts during Summertime. Fun to watch them returning to nests in the evening :).

Yes, flocks of Yellow-rumped Warblers will sometimes show up in great numbers after a Fall rain to drink out of the puddles. Since they nest so far north, one has to think that they really need to stop for a drink now and then.

Steve

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are swifts that nest in a nesting box on the She Shed every year. They are especially entertaining once the
chicks have hatched , busy catching insects in the air.
IMG_1849.jpegIMG_1861.jpeg

Don’t ya just love spell check.. rump/rumpus…rumpled.. 😟

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The little birdie is back this morning, before sunrise. Reminds me of Leon Russell's first words according to his mother and reported by a biographer (in Wikipedia :)). "'What's the matter little birdie, you cry?'. Russell's mother said 'she was shocked, because he never spoke.'"

Did I say he that together with his feathers he is no bigger than my thumb? All alone, at least I didn't see another with him. The neighbor has cosmos on the other side of a chainlink fence. They are dense and he seems to like it over there but travels through our garden. So small and in such locations, he is very easily overlooked and that may have been what happened during the 2 days that I didn't see him.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several more sightings of the little bird. Set things up to water part of the garden the other day. He flew into the neighbor's yard. Turned the water off later, he flew back almost immediately. This morning, and for the first time, I see him in a tree – lower branches. He was very still for several minutes and then flew to the other side of the yard, landing on the ground and disappeared under the canna lilies.

Always ONE, by him or herself. I can understand why you folks in the Bushtit's range are not responding. If that is what this one is, they are almost secretive. Our yard is dense with plants right now and he feeds on the ground. Inconspicuous little ground critter colored brown and gray. He is probably quite comfortable in the wilds. Wikipedia says they are the only species in this family living in the Americas, North or South, although there are a number of different Eurasian species. Living fairly broadly throughout the North American West. BTW, the Wrentit and Titmouse are not related.

Steve

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I see tiny birds that love to mess up the edging around the garden. Kicking about the compost and leaves looking for seed this time of year. They chirp like a ticking machine. Tic tic tic… drives me crazy when they go on for hours. Like a broken record. Maybe they are calling or warning. They are about the size of an infants fist. They are tiny and called black capped chickadee’s.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I see tiny birds that love to mess up the edging around the garden. Kicking about the compost and leaves looking for seed this time of year. They chirp like a ticking machine. Tic tic tic… drives me crazy when they go on for hours. Like a broken record. Maybe they are calling or warning. They are about the size of an infants fist. They are tiny and called black capped chickadee’s.
Embrace the chickadees and their happy little chirps!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Shades-of-Oregon , you have mentioned 2 species of small size and close in appearance to this birdie. I am certainly familiar with chickadees; they seem to use some noise effort to make their presence known. Hearing limitations won't allow me to ID this guy but I can certainly hear chickadee clamor but nothing from the solo artist.

No contrasting markings – spots, stripes, none of that. Only on the first of the 3 years did I notice that there was a companion. I was in the house and noticed activity in the hydrangea below the living room window. After about 15-20 minutes, I thought I could risk going out the door 6 feet from the bush. Walked a little closer as I saw a bird dodge back under the leaves. Standing 4' away, they stayed in the bush and I went back in the house.

It reminded me of the Pine Siskins that would sing in a small tree and I could walk, quietly as I could, all the way around the tree while it continued to sing. Where I used to live near a big N Idaho lake, the Siskins, Golden and Ruby Crowned Kinglets were common. Red Crossbills were seen, now and then. Creepers and Nuthatches ... none of these are very similar. Wrens with their cocked tails ... I am just not seeing this but, yeah, I am not familiar with Bushtits.

The map shows that they live in the Yakima area. Maybe the warmer, recent years has encouraged this little guy to move across the Columbia Basin and 200 miles to hang out in my yard. I read that suet can attract them. Maybe I can do that during the oncoming cold months and have more than a fleeting look at the rascals. Might be a difficult Winter for them.

Steve

Latest posts