Bottle gourds with brown spots

Blueberry Acres

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I’m growing bottle gourds (for the first time!) for drying to make birdhouses. Some of the gourds are a healthy green with stems slowly turning brown (signifying their maturity), but some have lots of brown spots on them and brown stems. Is this normal? Is it a disease/fungus I have to treat for?

Normal…
IMG_2956.jpeg

Brown spotted…
IMG_2955.jpeg

Thanks!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m growing bottle gourds (for the first time!) for drying to make birdhouses. Some of the gourds are a healthy green with stems slowly turning brown (signifying their maturity), but some have lots of brown spots on them and brown stems. Is this normal? Is it a disease/fungus I have to treat for?

Normal…
View attachment 69630

Brown spotted…
View attachment 69631

Thanks!

it has been so long since we grew those (once :) ) that i can't recall what they looked like when they finished. i knew they weren't what Mom was hoping for so we didn't do much with them. sorry. :) but i'm glad someone who knew answered your question!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Normal…
View attachment 69630

Brown spotted…
View attachment 69631

Thanks!
What a cool idea for a bird house! 😍

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score