Brussels Sprouts success in Massachusetts

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did not get sprouts on my Brussels Sprouts for the last few seasons, after many successful years. They need a bit of Boron if this happens to you. It is an organic amendment and is very potent so you must take care in amending you soil. I use a tiny sprinkle near each plant., working it into the soil. Having a busy fall I did not think to check my Sprouts until yesterday. I always plant a variety of seed that I start in my greenhouse. I find when 1 variety of any kind of plant has a bad year, usually at least one of your choices will produce. Well my sprouts said thanks for the Boron. I am harvesting, and eating, and then blanching and freezing the extra. I will have enough for family and the entire winter. They can be left on the stalk well through frost. They are way bigger than they look in the photo.
DSC_5490.jpeg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did not get sprouts on my Brussels Sprouts for the last few seasons, after many successful years. They need a bit of Boron if this happens to you. It is an organic amendment and is very potent so you must take care in amending you soil. I use a tiny sprinkle near each plant., working it into the soil. Having a busy fall I did not think to check my Sprouts until yesterday. I always plant a variety of seed that I start in my greenhouse. I find when 1 variety of any kind of plant has a bad year, usually at least one of your choices will produce. Well my sprouts said thanks for the Boron. I am harvesting, and eating, and then blanching and freezing the extra. I will have enough for family and the entire winter. They can be left on the stalk well through frost. They are way bigger than they look in the photo.View attachment 69781
Those look great! I would make my crunchy Brussels sprouts salad that even Brussels sprouts haters love!

Latest posts