Canning lids contain BPA

VickiLynn

Leafing Out
Reaction score
journey11 said:
PotterWatch said:
I ordered some of the Tattler lids and rings.
Let us know how you like them! Anyone else out there using these and like them?...
I just canned some apples using the Tattler Lids. I've only canned one other time in my life, so I'm no expert as far as comparing the lids. I was worried about having to line-up the rubber ring with the cap, but they went together easily.

Unfortunately, since the lids are plastic, I couldn't use my lifting wand with the magnet to get them out of the hot water (ouch!). You also don't get to hear the "ping" to know they are sealed. You have to check if the center is sunk-in. That's not easy to see, but I could feel it. Six of them sunk-in right away, and the other did about 10 minutes later. 3 days later, they are all still sealed.

The lids and rings are supposed to be re-usable multiple times, so in the end, may be less expensive to use.

Overall, not much different than using metal lids. If a rookie like me can use them successfully, they must be pretty good.

I was also wondering, with the metal lids, would it be possible to put a piece if wax paper (or something similar) on top of the food in the jar to prevent it from contacting the lid?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
VickiLynn said:
journey11 said:
PotterWatch said:
I ordered some of the Tattler lids and rings.
Let us know how you like them! Anyone else out there using these and like them?...
Unfortunately, since the lids are plastic, I couldn't use my lifting wand with the magnet to get them out of the hot water (ouch!).
:welcome, VickLynn!!!
WHERE did you get a lifting wand--I'd love to have one of those!! :love

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
WHERE did you get a lifting wand--I'd love to have one of those!!
You can buy them at stores that sell canning supplies...

...or you can take some little magnet (I use one off the fridge, not something heavily decorated but just a plain ol' piece o' magnet) and let it magnet itself onto the end of an appropriate metal spoon, and use THAT to pick yer lids up out of their softening bath ;)

Pat

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use canning jars to store my milk in since we don't buy milk from the store. I have used the tattler lids and rings on those jars, but haven't done any canning yet (I expect that will change within a week). I too was worried about how difficult it would be to get the ring to stay on the lid as I lowered it onto the jar, but I don't even have to think about it, it just stays where you put it. I fill about 8 jars a day when I am milking and haven't had any trouble with any of them. I like the fact that they are reusable. I'm sure they will work just as well when canning.

Latest posts