Coffee

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Organic butter is better. Margarine is just plain bad for you. I buy almost no processed food from large companies these days.

I envy you your homemade butter from the farmers market, Marie. I buy raw milk (unpasturized, unhomogenized, right out of the cow!) and organic cheese from people at the farmers market near me, but they don't make or sell butter.

When I was a kid in early grade (primary) school, it was one of the kindergarten exercises that we kids each shook a jar of cream, passing it around until it became butter. Sad that today's kids may not even know how butter is made. My mom used to remark that one needed to recognize when to stop beating cream to make whipped cream lest it turn to butter. Heck today's kids may think that whipped cream comes from an aerosol can, it's sad.

Last edited:

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. I’d love to be able to buy butter off the farm. With all this land around here, nobody keeps a milk cow. I’m in beef cattle country. So it’s store bought butter for me.
Store bought butter is still wonderful and I've read that the healthiest store bought butter is the grass fed butter.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having my coffee. Kind of late this morning. Trying to get used to my new routine. DS got married Saturday and they are off on their honeymoon. When the get back, my new DIL will be fixing breakfast for him and I am not sure if I will get up before them to start my simple breakfast or eat after them or with them. She cooks a lot and I just cannot eat heavy stuff all the time. They will be back Saturday. Pretty stressful all the wedding preparations. I did not have to do much, just watch everybody be stressed. DD is pregnant 8 weeks and she has a cold this morning and Evelyn. Everybody tired. I helped clean up things. Everything went well and they had a lovely wedding. Evelyn and Izzy were the flower girls and Wes was the ring bearer.

I have not been keeping up with the garden. I got a lot of nice peppers. The green beans have not been as many as usual, but enough. My small garden was still too big. Now that DS and DIL are married and she will be living here, things might get used more. They ate out a lot and so I was the one trying to eat all the vegetables or freeze. DD has a garden, so she did not need much. She will not be able to work like she did this year with all the digging, but she is planning her garden for next year. I am still deciding what I want to do. I did get a lot of pretty Cosmos flowers.
4.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Having my coffee. Kind of late this morning. Trying to get used to my new routine. DS got married Saturday and they are off on their honeymoon.
Congratulations 🌹🌹💐 To your son and daughter inlaw
When the get back, my new DIL will be fixing breakfast for him and I am not sure if I will get up before them to start my simple breakfast or eat after them or with them. She cooks a lot and I just cannot eat heavy stuff all the time. They will be back Saturday. Pretty stressful all the wedding preparations. I did not have to do much, just watch everybody be stressed. DD is pregnant 8 weeks and she has a cold this morning and Evelyn. Everybody tired. I helped clean up things. Everything went well and they had a lovely wedding. Evelyn and Izzy were the flower girls and Wes was the ring bearer.

I have not been keeping up with the garden. I got a lot of nice peppers. The green beans have not been as many as usual, but enough. My small garden was still too big. Now that DS and DIL are married and she will be living here, things might get used more. They ate out a lot and so I was the one trying to eat all the vegetables or freeze. DD has a garden, so she did not need much. She will not be able to work like she did this year with all the digging, but she is planning her garden for next year. I am still deciding what I want to do. I did get a lot of pretty Cosmos flowers.
What a beautiful picture absolutely stunning 😍 ❤️ 💖

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I get the same response about two magical things that I do.
1) fold a fitted bedsheet
2) make a pie crust
Honestly, you will never get a really tasty pie crust from one that is frozen,
Firstly, you have no clue about ingredients, despite the label.
I have made crusts using Crisco shortening and using unsalted butter. EVERYBODY comments on the great crusts.
I think if you set aside the time, use wax paper to roll out the crusts--bc adding flour to keep the dough from sticking Changes the recipe and moves it from pie crust to biscuits--and refridgerating the dough for about a hour before so that you roll it out COLD, and it's really pretty easy.
3:1:1
cups flour : cup of fat (shortening, butter, lard) : cup of water
Yes, Virginia, cooks are going back to cooking with lard.
HOWEVER, when you mix in the water, don't dump it all in. Sometimes it is humid and you don't need a whole cup of water, so pour in about 3/4 cup and that add the rest in spoonfuls.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope to make this but it's going to take me at least a decade
Banana pancakes for a second breakfast.

Instead of a banana, cooked pumpkin could have been used. I have enjoyed those. Pumpkin cookies are great! Let's see .... in the UK, those would be pumpkin biscuits , right! Starchy vegetable – think about an addiction to other starchy baked goods.

Steve