Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having finished breakfast, I am on to herbal tea.

Sitting here watching the Wunderground volunteers in my neighborhood and fretting about temperatures dropping below 40f (4C). The thermometer below the carport roof seems fairly in-line with them, now that it's moved from under the deck roof. Should have done that years ago.

Sprinklers lined up to mitigate a frost and since it's only 4AM, clear and with no wind — frost seems likely. I will have to be out there in my bathrobe because other clothes are in the bedroom and I don't want to wake DW. Dang, it reminds me of the strategy of the distant garden days when I had clothes in the utility room so I could drive out at 3AM with coffee & a sandwich to fret about the same frost risk and mitigation scheme.

@Shades-of-Oregon was talking about the value of downsizing but it sure means that I am outdoors less. Yeah, I did leave the car or climb out of the pickup, now and then ;). Used to wear out my garden shoes more quickly; had more of a tan on my arms and the back of my neck 🤠.

Screenshot_20240930_035724_Chrome.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Having finished breakfast, I am on to herbal tea.

Sitting here watching the Wunderground volunteers in my neighborhood and fretting about temperatures dropping below 40f (4C). The thermometer below the carport roof seems fairly in-line with them, now that it's moved from under the deck roof. Should have done that years ago.

Sprinklers lined up to mitigate a frost and since it's only 4AM, clear and with no wind — frost seems likely. I will have to be out there in my bathrobe because other clothes are in the bedroom and I don't want to wake DW. Dang, it reminds me of the strategy of the distant garden days when I had clothes in the utility room so I could drive out at 3AM with coffee & a sandwich to fret about the same frost risk and mitigation scheme.

@Shades-of-Oregon was talking about the value of downsizing
Picking up from the down sizing part.

I've got loads out of my woman dog and cat cave. But I'm still battling.
Hurry up Steve you're desperately needed mate. Give your misses a break and start clearing up here.

I came across a problem with a huge amount of books and C.D's . I just didn't have the heart to throw away such treasures. Historical gardening, recipe and fictional books that could be of really good use to so many people. Thankfully our local charity shop will take them. Now that really made me happy.

The library took these sorts of things up until ruddy covid. They let people who needed have them for free, but not anymore.

This good old charity shop has been invaluable to me and too countless other folks around these parts .
but it sure means that I am outdoors less. Yeah, I did leave the car or climb out of the pickup, now and then ;). Used to wear out my garden shoes more quickly; had more of a tan on my arms and the back of my neck 🤠.

View attachment 69410
Bob sounds like he has the same problem as I do :barnie

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob sounds like he has the same problem as I do :barnie

i used to donate books to the local library and also had some decent used bookstores that would take books in trade if they were interesting or in decent enough condition. now the local library won't take a lot of things and so i've stopped going to their book sales because those were the things i was mostly interested in anyways.

now when i get any new books it means i have to get rid of some that are on the shelves, well actually i do have about a foot of shelf-space i haven't used recently, it's collecting dust at about the same rate the books are... i have reread eight of them in recent months when i've not felt like trying to find something at the library or requested something to be sent in. the bookstores are too far from here for me to go to them very often. i used to be within walking distance to a great used bookstore. :( :( :(

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Donating books has become passé. Ran across the same issue with library’s, they recommended adding books to the recycle bin.
Hardcover books cannot be put in your recycling bin unless you remove the binding and just recycle the pages.
Paper backs are 100% paper and can be added to recycle bin. Sad really. But progress is calling…😉

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My dear friends, happy international coffee day!

My very first homemade pumpkin spice latte, just used the juice from a small Hokkaido pumpkin, sugar, and all spice to make the homemade pumpkin spice syrup. Then, I added some coffee beans into heavy cream to infuse the coffee aroma.

Not as difficult as I though, and it's oh my god so delicious!
24981.jpg

24983.jpg

My first time to try a Siphon, and that's really wonderful! I can't wait to get another one for making Matcha cream.
24984.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, my experiment this morning is leaving a couple tablespoons of oolong in the mug to cool the Hot herbal tea and learning if it tastes okay that way ... s'ok. 🙄.

Yesterday, I was reved up expecting frost danger and up by 2:30. Smallest amount of ice on top the car in the driveway. This morning, the forecast was for warmer and it was, by 3⁰f, with only dust on the car. That is about 1.5⁰ difference in centigrade but it does make a difference that close to frost. I ran sprinklers before dawn yesterday but came back into the heated house for the oolong and herbal this AM :).

A less concerning forecast might have made for a more comforting dream to having awaken from before the adventure outdoors at 4:30. I was carrying a tiny bird in my hand and asking someone what kind of bird he thought it was. It was calm and I could open my hand with it just sitting there straighten its feathers 🫴. When the person expressed his uncertainty a Moody Blues song began playing in my mind and I woke up.

🎼 So fly little bird 🐦
Up into the clear-blue sky
And carry the word
Love's the only reason why, whyyyy 🎶

🛌 digitS'

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Phaedra yummy coffee pic you have there, I’ll take a dozen .

digitS’ Moody Blues is inspiring as many tunes are easily engaging. What a beautiful dream.😴

@ducks4you Temps are raging in our state like that too. 85 high to 40’s night. The next day it’s freezing and raining. Autumn is very early this year. I brought in all my tender plants just in case we get snow. It’s comin I can feel it in my bones. 😟

Last edited:

Latest posts