Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished my chopped Bartlett pear in the bowl with the Wheat Chex. Sitting back with the herbal tea.

Many of us garden for the food, don't we? I'm happy with my slices of heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers most evenings. Mozzarella cheese and Homemade salsa sauce on Ritz crackers was especially good last night ☺️. I'm missing the sweet corn for dinner and Crenshaw melon for dessert.

The pear this morning absolutely didn't need a microwave treatment. Too late for Bartletts but the basket has one more. DW isn't a cottage cheese person but we used to eat lots of them that way :). Lived surrounded by Bartlett pear orchards in southern Oregon. She isn't really an apricot person either but I had a long relationship with an apricot tree that grew in complete neglect in a vacant lot that we turned into our Garden On Other People's Property across the alley from our home then. They thrive darn well like that here. Our peach trees struggle, with good and bad years.

Apples. What 100%? Nah, there are probably several varieties in Santa Cruz that wouldn't do well here. Should have a fig tree like in Oregon! Ah, the produce aisles ;).

digitS🌳

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I planted garlic today. I go back and forth if I will have a garden next year. I hate to ask for help, but I think I will just order a big load of manure and spread it. Then, maybe in the spring I might have a load of compost delivered. DD wants to have her garden done so bad. DS and I are going to go over and plant her garlic tomorrow and take some of my compost from the barrel and some leaves and call it good. DD's husband might get her boxes moved where she wants so she can plant a few tings about June. The babies will be born in April. I am going to have a very busy winter.
Don't forget to mulch and pile up your leaves for next year's compost!! They make the Very best compost, and Darwin studied how worms used leaves to make soil.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@digitS' i think apricot trees would survive here but i've not looked into it yet. i like them a lot more than peaches or pears.
I think you could grow them if you give them winter protection.
EVEN THOUGH I had read about hybrid magnolia's, the girl series, which is mine and DD's, Magnolia Jane and Magnolia Betty, that they had been developed to grow in Michigan, I Still decided to plant mine on the east side of my house bc I knew that the worst winter winds come due West and that my house would shield my tree, now about 15 ft tall and thriving.
You might set up a winter only wooden fence, the posts being permanent, using maybe landscape timbers for posts bc they are cheap, and then attach a fencing panel or plywood on the west and north sides of your apricot tree.
It's the cold AND the wind that kills trees in the winter.
Just fyi...

Last edited:

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have added a mulcher kit with 2 blades and a deck door that adjusts to open or close on the rider mower. When the deck mulcher door is closed under the deck, the mower blades do not immediately throw out clipped leaves or debris. With the door closed the debris collected in the mower deck where the 2 blades mulch the leaves and debris into tiny pieces right on site. No muss no fuss. Usually by spring the tiny mulched leaves have decomposed.

Yikes, I hope I splained that right. In other words whatever leaves I can mulch stays mulched in the garden as is .. to break down over winter. I usually use the larger tractor front bucket to turn over a pile of larger garden debris deposited in a section of the pasture. Lots of worms and black compost every year in the big pile set up to use for the next season.

Latest posts