Coffee

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
so much pneumonia and covid has been going around here and among people i know elsewhere that i'm worried about it getting either of us here at home. so far ok, but close calls (people who visit us who have had it or family) and that Mom is out and about more too means more chances. :(

take care of yourself there...
Vaccination is protection.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dozens of tasty treats at @Phaedra 's Cafe and I am having Cream of Wheat with raisins & honey, Mandarin oranges on side. Partly it's in protest, not against treating myself at the café table but, what's with Post putting brown sugar in their Malt o Meal? More attention to and increase of the malted barley. Substitute sugar, sugar, sugar?

did you check for the original ones? those don't seem to have sugar added... or perhaps i'm looking at old information on-line? i don't ever recall CoW or MoM having sugar added until after they are done (i love 'em with butter and brown sugar).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nah. This was a DW purchase. She thinks she is doing it for me because she avoids sugar and is a serious oatmeal fan (surprisingly) and puts artificially sweetened pancake syrup on it.

Yes, I use honey or brown sugar on my hot cereals, even some on the Malt o Meal, @flowerbug . With recent boxes, I have wondered where the malt flavor went. Cheaper to use more wheat? Of course. Making beer for a decade, I learned of the sweetness and flavor of barley malt.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' I’m going farther south to Warrick county. Any farther south I’d be in river or Kentucky. Been fighting pneumonia for about 8 weeks so I’m way behind on every. So much for the pneumonia shot.
I’m so sorry that you have been so sick. Even after you get well, pneumonia will leave you weakened, so please be careful not to have a relapse.
Why are you moving?

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nah. This was a DW purchase. She thinks she is doing it for me because she avoids sugar and is a serious oatmeal fan (surprisingly) and puts artificially sweetened pancake syrup on it.

Yes, I use honey or brown sugar on my hot cereals, even some on the Malt o Meal, @flowerbug . With recent boxes, I have wondered where the malt flavor went. Cheaper to use more wheat? Of course. Making beer for a decade, I learned of the sweetness and flavor of barley malt.

Steve
I remember Maltex hot cereal. The malt flavor was my favorite, probably because of the malt flavor.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m so sorry that you have been so sick. Even after you get well, pneumonia will leave you weakened, so please be careful not to have a relapse.
Why are you moving?
To be near Grands & as we age with more health problems, don’t want kids to have to drive 5 hours to help. My folks moved 8 hours away when healthy & then as health problems came, I was driving 8 hours one way to help. Then the guilt, when u are helping folks, things aren’t getting done at home. When u are home, not helping folks. Can’t win, don’t want to put my kids through that. Plus I don’t want to take care of 5 acres anymore. Sorry for novel length.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I remember Maltex hot cereal. The malt flavor was my favorite, probably because of the malt flavor.
I used to like the Cream of Wheat instant cereal as a kid. I think there was a brown sugar flavor and I used to like to make it really thick. (Sounds kinda gross now, but back then I loved it!). Is Maltex like Cream of Wheat?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
To be near Grands & as we age with more health problems, don’t want kids to have to drive 5 hours to help. My folks moved 8 hours away when healthy & then as health problems came, I was driving 8 hours one way to help. Then the guilt, when u are helping folks, things aren’t getting done at home. When u are home, not helping folks. Can’t win, don’t want to put my kids through that. Plus I don’t want to take care of 5 acres anymore. Sorry for novel length.
Makes perfect sense to me.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to like the Cream of Wheat instant cereal as a kid. I think there was a brown sugar flavor and I used to like to make it really thick. (Sounds kinda gross now, but back then I loved it!). Is Maltex like Cream of Wheat?

to me it's just very tiny bits of pasta with flavorings of different kinds. i can eat tons of that!

editors note this now becomes a long love poem of bits of prose about these simple things. you can skip it if you don't want to read about a fixated knucklehead...

butter and brown sugar are way too easy for me... not actual nutritional value there but at least fuel for the brain to get going and then a bit later i'll crash so i generally try not to eat this way often any more.

my morning cereal recently has been bran flakes and some cheerios added on top and a spoon or two of brown sugar some mornings but i have to admit that i've really been burning a lot of calories recently and my body says whatever sugar i can pour on is a good thing.

to give some context, the past few years i've backed off of eating a lot of sugar on some things and trying to find just the right amount but not too much. i've gone months and months where i've barely touched that brown sugar container and then the past month i've gone through the entire thing and i've still lost several lbs. which is good. :)

today (well now yesterday) i cleaned the container out and refilled it. back to more restraint now and no more of that. i'll shift back to peanuts, but you know what i'll be thinking about? my slippery darkened mistress of a mix of butter and brown sugar and some maple flavor put in there too so i can have something like a maple bun. :) along with the peanuts. i've done it before, it's good, it's exactly what a body that wants to go into hibernation for the winter wants to feast upon. i'm glad i can imagine it.

i won't say much about the oreo cookies i had the other night. they were ok. just not as good as brown sugar and butter and peanut butter and peanuts and maple flavoring and vanilla... oh yes, that too! so many goodies out there and i'm so happy with just a few if push comes to shoving it down my pie hole... mmmM pie! :)

ok, back to sleep...