Ducks 4 in '24

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal I am so sorry to hear of your sweet mare passing . It’s a heartbreak and at the same time a relief knowing they are not suffering any longer. Calling the backhoe is a sad day. Horses are amazing , strong well loved pet just as much as a dog or cat. Non horse people don’t seem to get.

I have planted a tree or special plants over my horses resting places as well as dogs and cats that have loved this land as their home for many years. They all remain in our hearts forever.

If the kindest souls would be awarded the longest life, then horses, dogs , cats, and all our beloved pets would live the longest.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Well, packet says "American seed."

When Beit Alpha cucumbers first showed up in the U.S., Muncher was the only open-polinated. Convinced that they were something special, I tried a hybrid type — almost had zero production off of them. The hybrid was wonderful but so few I would have been discouraged from having this type if I hadn't grown Muncher first.

There are more OP Beit Alpha seed available now but that variety works for me :). Some years, Lemon cucumbers from a Spring planting won't be ready for harvest until September. The same may be true of the Japanese varieties that I've tried. That's a long wait and unnecessary. There are American slicers and that Muncher able to show up in the kitchen much sooner.

Steve
& those tiny cucamelons have had to be grabbed just before the first frost!
It will take about 45 days until the tiny munchers produce for me...2 weeks before frost!! IF I can, is it worth trying to save seeds, IYO?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, I attacked the training area. I moved 4 RR ties out of the way, and sawed down ALL of the burdock. Ran out of time/energy, but this morning I have promised myself that I will remove them to burn, rake up any leftovers and poison the edges of the rectangular turnout area. I will be moving and dumping spoiled hay and bedding where my mare died and dump That under/next to the west fence. When I let my 2 boys back on the turnout around the barn I don't want them to eat the poison, and this will keep them away from it. It will all decompose.

Pictures later of the training area, and the cucumbers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I already have little cucumber plants set out for a Fall crop. That's, in case, the older vines falter and they often do.

My Opinion is – grab those cucumbers for the kitchen before they develop viable seeds! Lemon cucumbers may get ahead of me if the vines survive long enuf before a killing frost. They come on late and with a rush, if the weather is suitable. AND, I am very picky about the Lemons, especially. They should not, in any way other than shape, look like a lemon. Maybe a lime but buutt, no tough skin. I might want to eat ... no, i really don't want to eat the skin. Just, nice tender cucumbers :).

I leave the seed companies much of the responsibility for the seed I plant. I have saved cucumber seed, actually, but be aware that all the dang vines in those families cross readily.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to bitxx here--almost 2 months ago axxhole IDIOT "used to be a trustee" neighbor 2 doors up decided to remove the bedding that I had put on top of the NE corner of the property. with a shovel. His property is 2 doors up, not next door.
Looking back, I Should have put fresh straw on it, which will be soon BC ALL OF THE GRASS AND WEEDS HAVE GROWN BACK!!!!! :somad:somad:somad
He even removed the cardboard. Dumped it right over my fence to the corner, as if THAT changed anything.
He doesn't know that the ~12 foot from the fencing to the street, is actually MY property. My property line goes to the middle of the street, different, not unusual. He had no right to tresspass, remove my work with a shovel, and document it on FB.
Of Course, there is SO MUCH on FB you can't find it now.
I have to go back and redo same job, like my r knee needs more stress. :rant
Of COURSE I have to forgive his idiocy, but neighbors with anger issues can be a PITA.
Same trustee couldn't show up in person to resign in May. He sent a surrogate and provided 8 notarized originals of his resignation. Why does somebody pay to do this?!?!? weird
Again, anger issues.
I don't get it. I don't like everybody here, but I don't want to use any ordinances against anybody or make more work for anybody.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to do some "seed shopping order digging," but I figured out what the light green cucumbers are, the 3 survivors now producing--
We should be eating these soon, and I'll give you a report. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
ANIMAL WELFARE
As you know I nursed my dying mare, made her as comfortable as possible, EVEN on those days/night where it was insufferably hot. Her heart stopped, but she died where she had lived and wasn't afraid of the stall where I found her body.
It is VERY difficult to sort through the online comments and criticisms of animal welfare. Not too long ago, there were people I KNEW demanding that Dairy Farmers give it up bc they always take away the calves after birth.
Dunno, if ALL of the male calves are removed, but I saw a documentary recently about how a dairy farm raises up the female baby calves separately and their mothers milk is feeding them.
Not exactly backyard animal husbandry, but the cows have got to know that there calves are on site.
NOW there is a complaint going around that cattle and pigs are alive when they are being skinned and cut up.
I don't believe it. I live in a state where the government would be MORE THAN HAPPY to jail you for animal abuse, or pretty much owning a gun, anything that isn't the Democrat playbook. I have purchased 3 steers in 3 years, the locker is 45 minutes away, and I think that they would be out of business if they tortured animals.
Anyway, here is an article to read:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting take on curing blossom end rot:
I DO have 31 beefsteak tomatoes and 4 cherries in the ground, already had a small harvest, so the growing season here isn't a total loss.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did some harvesting, so I'd feel better. 🥲
I grew these this year. I had a sampler packet of about 10 seeds, 3 took:
Here are the 3 thriving plants, 4 fruits, picked 2 for dinner, which is fancy hot dogs, mac n cheese and salad, with cucumbers. The chicken wire isn't really a problem. I knocked them down from the front and collected on the ground, chicken wire is about one ft up. They are NOT yellow. They Are pistachio white.
Cucumber, Martini Hybrid, 3 plants growing back of garage, 08-12-24.jpg
Cucumber, Martini Hybrid, 3 plants growing back of garage, #2, 08-12-24.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts