Ducks 4 in '24

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Got 1/2 ready to plant tomatoes. Area in front of fencing needs to be dug up and hand tilled, then I will use my fencepost auger to dig the holes.
Hot today, had the wet down my mare and change her bandages. Tomorrow DD promises to help me chop off the ragged front hoof ends. She has/had 2 wounds on her shins from knocking into them, poor thing. When you keep horses for a long time, you accumulate a lot of things, like bandage supplies. I had 2 packages of diapers and about 15 rolls of purple vetwrap, leftover from the box that I bought when my dog, "Pyg" needed to have bandages changed after surgery. I have been slathering Corona Ointment, it's antiseptic and doesn't weap like Nitrofuricin, so I like it better, onto the middle of the inside of the diaper, then placing and wrapping and then, vetwrapping. She had this wound on her front left shin that would NOT heal. Then, a smaller one on the right front shin. They Both look much better staying covered, and the right front leg injury is visibly smaller.
Vet comes out Thursday.
I found my Oster clippers yesterday!!! I bought them for my gelding, "Trogdor" who had Cushings before I knew what it was. We couldn't clip through his very thick winter coat, but my mare's coat isn't that bad.
Vet knows about management possibilities and said, "expensive." She is worth it, even if it runs $150/month.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This morning I got about 1/2 of one tomato row prepped. I used my spade and dug about 10 inches from the 2023 southmost 6 ft tall fencing and used my gloves to break up the soil, before the t storm chased me indoors. I should be able to get out again about 4PM today. MOST of the tomatoes I bought look great. I up potted 7, the 2 cherry tomatoes look great, the others got dried out, then waterlogged and are in sick bay recovering. Tomorrow I will probably buy 4 more at WM. I know that the cherry tomatoes can go in bc they will be planted in the east and north bed of the garage, closest to the brick border so that they will get sun.
I am WAAAYYYY ahead of last year as a planter. My garden seat makes SUCH a difference!
It is now pouring and my laptop is NOT plugged in. My previous laptop got fried from a t storm, so not This time.
I ended up with about 8 sugar snap pea plants that survived.
I am conVINCED that cool weather crops are best planted in the Fall.
In a week I will be starting brussels sprouts from seed inside. Pretty crazy that this is the schedule.
It is now pouring...

Last edited: