Ducks 4 in '24

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
No, if your jar is clean you won't grow bacteria in it. The idea was to put this out in the sun on a HOT day, and let it steep the tea bags for several hours. Just like a car gets super hot when in the summer sun, so the water in the sun tea jar gets that hot, too.
I just never really used my sun tea jars that much. This one is a survivor and I didn't have the heart to toss it, so I have given it a new job. ;)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I ended up canning 3 1/4 quarts of tomatoes yesterday. We STILL have a frost warning for early Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. I will harvest today or tomorrow and bring in nice and big green tomatoes to ripen inside, like I do every year.
I have canned about 10 quarts of tomatoes this year, I have over 60 quarts in the basement, those that are 3-4 years old still smell great when I open them.
The only thing I did this year was to prove to DH that I could plant tomatoes in July and still get a harvest.
It was almost like Captain James T. Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru. :lol:
My ability to face fear and death and still maintain control.

:gig

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Anyone tried to use tea bags mixed with peaches. Set in sunny window for a day and it’s delicious and ..or adding hibiscus flowers is a tremendous flavor. That’s all folks..

IMG_4757.jpeg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been starting my mornings with a cup of hot tea and a splash of milk for 51 years.

Sun tea, once the bags are removed and the jar put in the refrigerator, is cold, refreshing and I add some "pink sugar" to it. (those little pink packets of fake sweetener).
Oh, I didn't realize that it was a cold beverage! For some reason I assumed it was a different way to brew and drink hot tea. We'd call that 'iced tea' here, even if it has no ice, although I have no idea how people make it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't realize that it was a cold beverage! For some reason I assumed it was a different way to brew and drink hot tea. We'd call that 'iced tea' here, even if it has no ice, although I have no idea how people make it.
Iced sweet tea is the National drink of Texas!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Salsa 13: Bloodbath, was a resounding success Saturday night, with DD's making waffles at their house with bacon for the folks that slept over and gamed at their house.
Original Salsa hosts came late after the Illini football game (that they almost lost), and I sent them home with a couple of quarts of chili leftovers. Here is what was left After that, when I packaged, put on the cold porch and moved to the fridge sunday morning, 4 quarts worth.
I gave a quart and half to middle DD for the 3 or them, two other DD's ate a pint for sunday dinner, DH and I ate a pint for sunday dinner, then youngest DD suggested we finish the rest for Monday's dinner. Now.all.gone.
Best Ever chili bc I kept puverizing 2019 dehydrated jalepanoes until it tasted just enough spicy and aftertaste, but not overwhelmingly hot.
We softened the beans in a crock pot with just water this time, still used 5 quarts of tomatoes, 3 sweet peppers, and 5 onions, plus cumin, chili powder and chili sauce.
Salsa, 2024, chili leftoveres, 10-13-24.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Frost "on the pumpkin" this morning, but My 12 pumpkins were inside the carraige house, in a clean muck bucket and in the back of my tow wagon, safe from the frost. They still need to go on the porch this weekend. Pictures of them later. i also asked DH if he wanted some rhubarb. He said, we have Rhubarb?!?!? Only for the past 15 years.
Tomatoes, 10-15-24.jpg
Rhubarb, 10-15-24.jpg

Latest posts