Ground squirrels are digging around all my fav trees and shrubs and the foundation of the house.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ducks4you Thank you for your suggestions if it were a small area and small plants hardware cloth would help.

By the way just want to mention I used to have ducks Rouin’s and Pekin’s. They are great at clearing out bugs & great watch dogs too!

The ground squirrels are excavating around the entire house foundation , large tree roots , under huge shrubs and many plants that are smaller are gonners. Lost 3 trees, and several more trees are showing signs of stress.

I’ve tried setting up traps with water buckets feed and used sprays to deter squirrels. Cats don’t help with these ground squirrels . Nothing is working. Since the rain has hit our areas I have no choice but to use live traps. I do have a bobcat surveying the property I have seen around thru an encounter to close for comfort.

I have ordered bird feed and the Squirrelinator trap which is touted to catch several at a time . The problem I have is once the squirrels are caught, what to do with them? Not puttin them in my vehicle … from past experiences to transport or to bug neighbors.

Stay tuned for the next ‘Saga of the Squirrelinator traps’.

Last edited:

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ducks4you Thank you for your suggestions if it were a small area and small plants hardware cloth would help.

By the way just want to mention I used to have ducks Rouin’s and Pekin’s. They are great at clearing out bugs & great watch dogs too!

The ground squirrels are excavating around the entire house foundation , large tree roots , under huge shrubs and many plants that are smaller are gonners. Lost 3 trees, and several more trees are showing signs of stress.

I’ve tried setting up traps with water buckets feed and used sprays to deter squirrels. Cats don’t help with these ground squirrels . Nothing is working. Since the rain has hit our areas I have no choice but to use live traps. I do have a bobcat surveying the property I have seen around thru an encounter to close for comfort.

I have ordered bird feed and the Squirrelinator trap which is touted to catch several at a time . The problem I have is once the squirrels are caught, what to do with them? Not puttin them in my vehicle … from past experiences to transport or to bug neighbors.

Stay tuned for the next ‘Saga of the Squirrelinator traps’.
If they are tunneling, you can get the smoke bombs fro TSC. Light it, put it down a main burrow and starting filling in the holes that the smoke comes out from. The smoke will kill any gophers trapped inside.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
R2elk. Thank you for your suggestion will try that idea . If I can fill in all the holes fast enough, will they escape and dig out?
I found this on you tube. I know where the tunnels are it’s wort a try. This guy doesn’t fill the holes.

Last edited:

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And here’s another way to catch gophers . Very interesting. I just put the hose down the hole as they come up wack with a shovel. I catch quite a few that way over the years.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
R2elk. Thank you for your suggestion will try that idea . If I can fill in all the holes fast enough, will they escape and dig out?
The main point in filling or rather sealing off the holes is to keep the smoke from disippating into the air. If they get a good enough dose of the smoke, they won't be digging anywhere.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes of course I have tried the smoke bombs . I ordered more hoping to cover the majority of holes before I ignite the smoke bomb. I saw a new trick on utube to use a leaf blower on low to push the smoke thru the tunnels faster.
Slick idea. Anxious to give it a try. Thank again.