Hello from SoCal!

frijolymoly

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi hi! Southern California gardener here!

I've been doing a lot of vegetable gardening, composting, and seed saving this past year. I was growing mostly succulents and cacti for a while, but after trying out some seeds from the public library's seed library, it reawakened my inner veggie gardener. It's been nice growing edible plants again.

I've been donating my saved seeds to the seed library, but sometimes I feel bummed that there isn't much community involvement (I'm the only one that's contributed back in the past year).

I found out about TheEasyGarden from The Little Easy Bean Network. It seems like a cool project with a nice community and I am really amazed by how much diversity there is with beans.

My username combines the Spanish word for bean "frijol" and "holy moly" because wow that's a lot of beans!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi hi! Southern California gardener here!

I've been doing a lot of vegetable gardening, composting, and seed saving this past year. I was growing mostly succulents and cacti for a while, but after trying out some seeds from the public library's seed library, it reawakened my inner veggie gardener. It's been nice growing edible plants again.

I've been donating my saved seeds to the seed library, but sometimes I feel bummed that there isn't much community involvement (I'm the only one that's contributed back in the past year).

I found out about TheEasyGarden from The Little Easy Bean Network. It seems like a cool project with a nice community and I am really amazed by how much diversity there is with beans.

My username combines the Spanish word for bean "frijol" and "holy moly" because wow that's a lot of beans!
Welcome to the forum from the Pacific Northwest!

frijolymoly

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@frijolymoly Hello let’s talk plants. Tell us about your fave flowers or trees or veggies? Houseplants or whatever ?
Veggies:
All season: Swiss Chard has become a new favorite for greens. I think it tastes good sauted with garlic and soy sauce. I like that it's heat tolerant. While other greens bolted once the weather heated up, the chard kept going. I have a whole section of chard that I call my "charden" 😆

Warm Season: I am a big fan of homegrown tomatoes. I remember when I first tried growing beefsteak tomatoes years ago and they were absolutely bursting with flavor--way better than store bought! This year I'm trying to grow various tomatoes to see what tastes the best (and that grows well here)!

Cool Season: Sugar snap peas were the cool season standout for me. I really enjoyed snacking on those. I didn't plant enough last year, but I saved a bunch of seeds, so I can plant more next time.

Other: I'm trying to growing various varieties of peppers and beans, but I need to wait until those are ready so I can try them and judge what my favorites for those are are.
---
Trees: I like fruit trees. We don't have a lot of land for a bunch of trees, but we do have a lime tree and it's so nice to just walk outside and pick a lime when I need one! The idea of a home fruit orchard sounds amazing.
---
Flowers: Nasturtium is easy, edible, and cute. I don't usually eat it, but it's nice that it's an option. They readily volunteer, but they are also really easy to remove if necessary.
---
Houseplants: I'm not that great with houseplants because my room is dark 😅 Pothos is doing well in the living room though and has been pretty low maintenance, so that's nice.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. :)

i also work with the local seed library and also we have a monthly garden club meeting which has a few regular members but it hasn't grown much. there's a few of us who donate seeds back to the seed library, and i do see some new seeds in there from time to time, but it isn't super active.

the bean network is a great opportunity for bean growers to get ahold of new varieties for trying out in your location. i'm pretty sure that southern CA will have chances of bean beetles so you should keep an eye out for those and know how to deal with them.

frijolymoly

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. :)

i also work with the local seed library and also we have a monthly garden club meeting which has a few regular members but it hasn't grown much. there's a few of us who donate seeds back to the seed library, and i do see some new seeds in there from time to time, but it isn't super active.

the bean network is a great opportunity for bean growers to get ahold of new varieties for trying out in your location. i'm pretty sure that southern CA will have chances of bean beetles so you should keep an eye out for those and know how to deal with them.
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm hoping that over time, more people will get involved with the plant events and seed library.

Yes, I'm excited to try growing out some Network Beans! There are so many interesting varieties!

Thanks for the heads up on bean beetles! I looked them up so I'll be able to recognize them if I see them 👍

Latest posts