akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Darlin and Little One decided to dust bath after free range time šŸ¤£
IMG_20240612_200040.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday my youngest granddaughter was here so we went to the garden for some mush needed grazing. We both got 4 or 5 cherry tomatoes. They were so good
Your granddaughter will remember those times forever! My mom loved to take my kids into her garden when they were little and try yummy and interesting treats like raspberries and edible flowers! They speak so fondly of it now that they are grown up!

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My grandkids that have been fortunate enough to be here when the tomatoes were ready to eat all said the same thing,"Oh my God Grandma that's so good." I also had some small carrots that I pulled out and gave them to 2 of the granddaughters and they both said those are the sweetest carrots ever.

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was on the BYC site and some ladies were talking about passing on getting a mammogram and I would just like to let everyone know that they have completely changed the process. I had one last year and I have to say that it was the one of the easiest things I have ever done. The machine is now automatic and the plates are plastic. No more human errors with the metal plates.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My grandkids that have been fortunate enough to be here when the tomatoes were ready to eat all said the same thing,"Oh my God Grandma that's so good." I also had some small carrots that I pulled out and gave them to 2 of the granddaughters and they both said those are the sweetest carrots ever.
Did someone mention Carrots? We grow the Bolero every year, very uniform, sweet and great keepers.

Attachments

• IMG_6169.jpeg
    IMG_6169.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 37

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did someone mention Carrots? We grow the Bolero every year, very uniform, sweet and great keepers.
I'm going to have to make a list of all the wonderful veggies everyone grows and make a HUGE PURCHASE OF SEEDS! I have seeds but dang it and shame on the mess that I don't get the good ones šŸ˜­. My grandkids are going to be truly happy and satisfied with Grandmas garden next year. LOL šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most folks have their favorite items; things that work well for them in their environment. None of us will live long enough to try every this or that, even though we try.šŸ™„
A huge factor in all of this is your growing conditions; weather, soil type etc all play a big part.
Around here ā€œstorageā€ is a big concern as well, as we strive to ā€œeat our own stuffā€ as long as we can.

If i tell you try Bolero carrots and someone else tells you try, bla-bla-bla you may find a keeper. Sharing amongst ourselves will at least narrow it down some as thereā€™s at least 500 types of carrots, maybe more.
Iā€™ve noticed, early success at gardening is fairly unusual and most of us spend a lot of time ā€œdoing our time in the barrelā€.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I counted* on Vegetable Varieties for North America and came up with only 297 carrot varieties, @Alasgun .

;) Of course, those are just those that have been released for public sales on this continent and the U of NC group hasn't updated the list since 2016 ;).

The Nantes types that I have tried have done well, although I have tried only a few out of many. Always inclined to be influenced by names, Nantes is located in France in an area likely to be more similar to here than, say, southern France. Early on, I tried 4 different carrot varieties in 1 season. Only one Nantes type but it outperformed the combined production of the other 3. Honestly, I think that this is a good area for carrots with one serious problem ā€“ the rocky soil which can produce some very crooked carrots so ones long and skinny are not a good idea.

Steve

* okay, I only had the "find on page" tell me how many dashes (ā€“) were on the webpage. Cheated & Dashed right thru it ;).

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My garden has been doing good so far. I'm surprised that the heat hasn't killed it off. We've been triple digits for weeks now. Been getting cherry tomatoes, crookneck squash and strawberries. That's about it. I also need to plant more zucchini because I don't have any even though I planted 3 packets of seeds. I have a friend that wants to buy my zucchini from me for 5 dollars per zucchini.

Latest posts