Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We use maple syrup, for most of out sweetening or Stevia.

We’re all to familiar with Pomegranate season too 😳 as Ruthy will “beat out” 15 cases of the seeds and freeze them. We have a fruit cup every day of our lives which requires 1/4 cup between us so in a year that’s roughly a 5 gallon bucket! All i can offer is empathy, it’s a lot of work!

Last edited:

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We use maple syrup, for most of out sweetening or Stevia.

We’re all to familiar with Pomegranate season too 😳 as Ruthy will “beat out” 15 cases of the seeds and freeze them. We have a fruit cup every day of our lives which requires 1/4 cup between us so in a year that’s roughly a 5 gallon bucket! All i can offer is empathy, it’s a lot of work!
Thank you. I'm not even half way through but I know in the end it will be worth the work and time.

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@akroberts Maybe use Splenda in the place of sugar.
Pomegranate Jelly Recipe | Zero Calorie Sweetener & Sugar Substitute | Splenda Sweeteners
I don't do the taste of the zero sugar stuff. It tastes completely foul and nasty to me. I'm using honey and if need be I will use a small amount of brown sugar and vanilla and maybe some nutmeg or something else.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bake with Stevia all the time we have a diabetic in he family and no one has complained about the taste of baked foods or jello salads sugar free. It’s plant based. I grew it for several years crushed it in my coffee mill and used it before the commercial production started. Even in coffee/teas.

I think the diet sodas are horrible I can taste the difference in them . They have a nasty chemical flavor.

I hope your jelly turn out it sounds delicious.👍

Last edited:

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bake with Splenda all the time we have a diabetic in he family and no one has complained about the taste of baked foods or jello salads sugar free. Even in coffee/teas.

I think the diet sodas are horrible I can taste the difference in them . They have a nasty chemical flavor.

I hope your jelly turn out it sounds delicious.👍
Thank you. I'm hoping it turns out because this is the first time ever in my life at canning anything. I'm really happy for my trying to can on my own but still concerned. As for the sugar free stuff it doesn't matter what it is I can taste the nasty chemicals in it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is making the pomegranate jelly and syrup so challenging for me is the fact that I haven't ever canned anything in my life so I'm just hoping I don't foul it up.

to make jelly you will need pectin and if you want low sugar recipes they have pectin for that so get that and then follow their directions (usually they have a website these days if they don't have directions in or on the pectin). also it usually doesn't hurt to scan the internet for recipes and directions and see if they have any helpful tips. using a tall pot to make sure things don't boil over is one of them. the other is to start with smaller batches because sometimes bigger batches don't work the same way or may take a longer time to come up to the required temperature for the pectin and ingredients to gel.

Latest posts