One Alaskans greenhouse

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We’ve tried them, squash blossoms too but neither of us are as Euell Gibbin’ish as some folks?

I understand you can “sprout” the Nasturtiums too And we save seed from them each year. This year we’ll try a few, just to say we’ve done it.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Did you ever eat your nasturtium flowers sprinkled on a salad or even better - on ice cream? I've heard you can eat those!
I also heard about that but am still hesitant to follow I have tried flowers of borage and chive, totally fine, but I don't really want them in my salad so badly. However, I am thinking to pick some nasturtium leaves for Pesto!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We’ve tried them, squash blossoms too but neither of us are as Euell Gibbin’ish as some folks?

I understand you can “sprout” the Nasturtiums too And we save seed from them each year. This year we’ll try a few, just to say we’ve done it.
I've tasted the flowers from a nootka rose. Those are sweet and quite good. I want to try them on ice cream! 😋

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Things are slowing down, the Onions were lifted and are curing, the Kraut is made, the Mint is shown being bundled before hanging to dry, Peas and Beens are slowing as are the Tomato’s and Cukes.

All the root stuff is still in the ground For as long as possible. That group looks real well, they always do; no surprises there.

A 16gal. smart pot is ready to go once the Cucumber’s i just planted show up. This will replicate last years arrangement with a few tweeks.
Light only on one end, ”old reliable” Sweet success strain this time and early training.

This is kinda cool this year. The new onions are headed to storage AND i still have a 10lb. Bag from last year that are fine with a few exceptions. However, when i pulled these soft ones and tossed them on the saw bench; they began to grow. Being opportunistic im gonna let them grow and whak the scapes for cooking? We’ll see what they taste like.

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpeg
    IMG_1165.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1168.jpeg
    IMG_1168.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 64

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is Alaska, not Camelot and we’re as susceptible to failure as anyone else! In the spring, when they blow the whistle we take off at a dead run and due to the many variables; don't look back. There’s very little wiggle room to try again if something is not quite right such as this years pumpkins! Many things excelled this year and the rest gave a passable performance except the Pumpkins. I see some humor in this as i’ve never been able to hold the entire pumpkin crop in one hand AND take a picture with the other!

Attachments

• IMG_1175.jpeg
    IMG_1175.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 73

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alasgun, in the garden, I am struggling some to deal with this hot and very dry Summer. Nevertheless, it is a good year for the peppers again, the tomatoes are doing okay, and the melons are going great guns!

It looks like each of my pumpkin vines has one massive pumpkin on it. The Winter squash are right nextdoor. This might be the worst Winter squash season in years.

I Do Not Know How to Account for It! I can guess ~ but I can't be sure and I can't be sure if it is the weather, soil, or something different that I have done. It's certainly unexpected and I had better not be complacent about the 2024 Winter squash. Since it is so unexpected, how can I be sure that will be the fix required? It's easy for me to answer that. I cannot be sure.

Steve

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We were anything but hot and dry and we were at least 3 weeks later. Looking at the big picture i can only say “thank you Lord”; for how great all the rest did; and that they’ll still have Organic Butternut’s at the grocery! Yearly we are pretty consistent and we grow exactly the same things year after year, which makes “improvement” some what easier (less guessing). Pumpkins have never been our strong suit and we’ll be moving a different strain in next season. A strain all-ready proven by a neighbor!

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpeg
    IMG_1178.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1181.jpeg
    IMG_1181.jpeg
    467.3 KB · Views: 72

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...Pumpkins have never been our strong suit and we’ll be moving a different strain in next season. A strain all-ready proven by a neighbor!

good luck! pumpkins are usually very common around here, but we've not really tried to grow them in our own gardens as i do grow plenty of squash. so at times i've come across squash that have clearly mingled with pumkins.

if you find a pumkin that does work for you please post about it some more as those of us in more damp climates may also find it worth a trial. :)

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A near catastrophe was averted this afternoon. While showing a Cherry tree to a neighbor we noticed a large group of small yellow wasp doing they're best to decimate the ripe fruit! Remembering a large piece of insect screen we went into survival mode with us (Ruthy an me) in there picking cherries and killing wasp at a frantic pace. Once the ripe fruit was safely stored i cobbled this tent together and fired up my bee smoker. the tent is not “bee tight” and up at the very top where the fabric was bunched around branches; they could skinny out fairly easily and with me hot on they’re tail with that smoker; it just took a minute for them to vacate!
The remainder will be fine now and all should be done ripening in the next couple weeks. Never seen anything like this before; guess that’s our “new bug” for the year? When the smoke cleared we had roughly a gallon and a half of fruit which were pitted and frozen.

* Research shows the culprit as a “Hover fly”! Looks kinda waspy but im not sure they would harm you, i know you can grab them out of the air and squish em pretty easy!

Attachments

• IMG_1192.jpeg
    IMG_1192.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Latest posts