One Alaskans greenhouse

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Over the years A lot of effort has gone into controlling the Compost environment. Up here we get enough rain to completely saturate those piles; more of a problem with the raw stuff but it would also contribute to leaching in the mature stuff as well. If i want (need) water i use the hose mounted on the wall of the Rabbit barn, in the background.

Now that this latest up-grade showed up i gave my Trammel (in the fore ground) to a friend to free up a parking spot.

Perspective is an unusual thing; a couple years ago i built that Trammel to up-grade the operation, which it did. Coming from a screen box over a wheel barrow (Jackson) the trammel did a better job faster.Then the hammer-mill showed up and i suddenly realized how antiquated my trammel was.🤭 we’re pretty fickle sometimes!

Attachments

• IMG_6254.jpeg
    IMG_6254.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2577.jpeg
    IMG_2577.jpeg
    509.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A couple days ago we were discussing the merits of various teas. This “powerful elixir” is kind of a last kick in the butt for the greenhouse stuff.
Most of the anaerobic teas begin to stink pretty early on and this one won’t be the exception. It contains a half gallon of rabbit poop and urine (which don’t smell) AND a dozen chopped Comfrey leaves. Covered with 3 gallons of water or so and left setting in the heat stream from the Toyo!
Once I’m pretty sure YOU can smell it I’ll water it in. We’ve got just about enough time for a positive effect on the tomato’s, cukes and summer squash.

A young fellow im mentoring ask me “what’s it’s purpose, what will it do”? - - I told him, “it’s kinda like when they gave your wife a shot to help her contract and squirt out that child”! Except on my Tomato’s. 😲

Attachments

• IMG_3240.jpeg
    IMG_3240.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yikes I can smell it from here…😉 only because tea is made from the horses that can be full of weed seeds. Straining the seeds out ..😟

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My answer to fall lettuce! Costal Star Romaine is advertised as an “upright pattern” which you can see is true. This ragity group were just let to bolt when everything in this bed was done for the season. To my surprise i discovered that even the “blue leaf’s” on the very top are not bitter. The texture is a bit firmer than normal but the flavor is great. Proving once again that procrastination is always the best policy; something i’ve been trying to convince my wife of for years, un-successfully!

This is 3 weeks of lettuce and by then we’ll be ready for frost and the welcome break that comes once it’s all put away for winter.

Attachments

• IMG_3212.jpeg
    IMG_3212.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 20

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This may he of interest to some of you? I use and see the benefits of the 3 elements in this article and do foliar feed with liquid kelp, daily on some stuff.
I’m not brave or crazy enough to foliar feed my fish hydroslate though, cant imagine what that would smell like!

The second article covers the benefit's of kelp pretty well, which see’s a lot of use around here to boost root cuttings along with foliar applications.
Im unsure how the author handles smaller seeds that have been soaked, seems like a lot of effort while planting. For something like that i simply plant the seeds then soak the 10/20 tray with what ever solution for it’s first watering.
A 10/20 holds 18ea 3.5 inch pots. Once planted you can lift out one pot and pour in 1/2 gallon of liquid and it will be absorbed into the medium uniformly. One half gallon will completely saturate the medium and your seeds are then being “soaked” in what ever solution you use. I only use this for the initial watering and return to normal watering practices there after.

Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This morning i notice over a dozen ripe fruit on the Celebrity, which has over 4 dozen green fruit still on the vine. Early this week the red ones will get sauced / canned and after that i’ll wear folks out with the rest.
P.s dont be dismayed by the brown spots on the fruit, this is the Liquid Kelp / Lacto bacillis i foliar feed with; it washes off!

Attachments

• IMG_3263.jpeg
    IMG_3263.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 15

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year there was a lag period between the greenhouse and the bathtub Cucumbers. It appears that wont be a problem this year. Along the way they are being foliar fed everyday with Liquid Kelp / Lacto bacillus. Im real familiar with this cuke and know what to expect and im hoping to extend their useful production period with the foliar feeding? Time will tell.

Attachments

• IMG_0953.jpeg
    IMG_0953.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0952.jpeg
    IMG_0952.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 7

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mean while; (for now) the greenhouse is still producing plenty, with cukes to give away. This morning i noticed a section of vine drooping from the weight, and resembling “fish on a stringer”! Not to mention a (mature) Cuke on every leaf node, this late in the season is pretty remarkable!

* on edit:
Currently, one of the young bathtub plants has 10 in a row, which is typical but seldom will a plant finish them all in a group like this. I’m watching all this with interest now that my little “foliar feeding experiment” includes
indoor & outdoor plants.

My initial goal of extending the productive life of these plants is now extended to include; can i improve AND extend the plants productive life? Time will tell.

Attachments

• IMG_3283.jpeg
    IMG_3283.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With 1.5 inches of rain predicted over the next 3 days, it seemed prudent to work the potato’s over. Each year about this time when the vines are going downhill, i clear cut everything down to just stubs. Then add some hoops and a piece of plastic over it all. The purpose is to toughen up the skins before digging and since i dig by hand having the soil a little dryer is nice too!
This is the start of harvest for us. I’ll dig the “taters” in a couple weeks and lift the carrots, beets and parsnips between now and then.
This is kind of like “report card” time for me; how’d i do? What can i do better? Etc.
Exciting stuff for sure and a lot of “Thank you Lord” moments along the way.

In the greenhouse i trimmed back the new tomato growth, preferring the plant put the effort into ripening the hanging fruit.

Looking ahead there’s 4” long Cukes on the vines in the bathtub upstairs and about 1/3 of next years seed has arrived and been stored!

Attachments

• IMG_3296.jpeg
    IMG_3296.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3297.jpeg
    IMG_3297.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts