One Alaskans greenhouse

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today i brought in the first of the 2nd crop Broccilli and it’s a beauty!
Then i lifted the Parsnips and while they are very uniform with only 2/3 distorted ones; they are quite small. I’m attributing this to a very late, cold Spring and more rain than i’ve ever seen. About the size of small carrots.
Still a thank you Lord day; even though this work was done in a drizzling rain.🫤

Attachments

• IMG_3317.jpeg
    IMG_3317.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3318.jpeg
    IMG_3318.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3319.jpeg
    IMG_3319.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 5

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today i brought in the first of the 2nd crop Broccilli and it’s a beauty!
Then i lifted the Parsnips and while they are very uniform with only 2/3 distorted ones; they are quite small. I’m attributing this to a very late, cold Spring and more rain than i’ve ever seen. About the size of small carrots.
Still a thank you Lord day; even though this work was done in a drizzling rain.🫤
Can you tell me what the parsnips taste like? I want to plant some next year but don't want to have it be a waste of good garden space.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, the usual answer would be “it taste like Chicken”!🙄

I believe Parsnips are more popular in G. Britain than here and there are numerous ways to cook them. We steam ours and eat them with a little butter. They have a somewhat sweet flavor that improves with frost. They say you can leave them in the ground thru the winter and pull them as you want. Not up here!!
As i pen this, im realizing how inadequate i am at describing how something taste simply because i have nothing to compare them to.
If you can find some locally or at a farmers market, you'd be able to see for yourself.
As you can see they are deep rooted and require fairly loose soil. Due to our short season; early on id start them inside and transplant them out. This was very time consuming and resulted in a LOT of distorted roots, which are hard to store. They take 2-3 weeks to germinate too so if you plant some, be patient.
A long germination period and a short season keep us from getting nice Parsnips. I’ve seen them at our specialty grocery that were as big around as my fist and 18 inches long.
You are in a great geographic area and i’d imagine you can grow nice ones, with a little effort.

Last edited:

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, the usual answer would be “it taste like Chicken”!🙄

I believe Parsnips are more popular in G. Britain than here and there are numerous ways to cook them. We steam ours and eat them with a little butter. They have a somewhat sweet flavor that improves with frost. They say you can leave them in the ground thru the winter and pull them as you want. Not up here!!
As i pen this, im realizing how inadequate i am at describing how something taste simply because i have nothing to compare them to.
If you can find some locally or at a farmers market, you'd be able to see for yourself.
As you can see they are deep rooted and require fairly loose soil. Due to our short season; early on id start them inside and transplant them out. This was very time consuming and resulted in a LOT of distorted roots, which are hard to store. They take 2-3 weeks to germinate too so if you plant some, be patient.
A long germination period and a short season keep us from getting nice Parsnips. I’ve seen them at our specialty grocery that were as big around as my fist and 18 inches long.
You are in a great geographic area and i’d imagine you can grow nice ones, with a little effort.
Thank you for the info. I will try to find some

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, parsnips and carrots don't compare that well, except for texture, somewhat.

How about this? They are somewhat nutty and have caramel-like flavors.

Not for parsnips but I sometimes see a flavor description of "earthy." I don't really know what that means. I think that it might just mean that "my imagination ran to where they grow and were harvested." Personally, I may have willingly tasted dirt as a 3 or 4 year old but don't remember having done it since ... well, there was that time in early elementary school when someone, and it may have been me, was tasting the sand in the sandbox ...

Latest posts