One Alaskans greenhouse

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The potatoes’s were lifted today and will reside in the barn for a few days before going to the cellar. Im happy with the yield too. This is from 2ea, 12 ft. Rows. The Purple Molly’s made a good showing ensuring i’ve got plenty of seed for next year. Due to a poorer year a couple seasons ago; i was concerned. These are called “fingerlings” so when i see large numbers of over 1lb. Spuds coming in it makes me smile. This is the last of it; a few Cukes and Tomatos in the greenhouse and a lot of clean-up now. Thanks Lord for a real fine season!

And with the formalities out of the way i better get back down to the hammer-mill and try to get the remainder of the pile ground today.
I’m a little over half way. In years past each bed got a level 5cu ft wheelbarrow of Compost. This year im using the fish tote which is almost 7cu. Ft, which translates into 3 inches troweled evenly over each bed!

Attachments

• IMG_3343.jpeg
    IMG_3343.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3346.jpeg
    IMG_3346.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The potatoes’s were lifted today and will reside in the barn for a few days before going to the cellar. Im happy with the yield too. The Purple Molly’s made a good showing ensuring i’ve got plenty of seed for next year. Due to a poorer year a couple seasons ago; i was concerned. These are called “fingerlings” so when i see large numbers of over 1lb. Spuds coming in it makes me smile. This is the last of it; a few Cukes and Tomatos in the greenhouse and a lot of clean-up now. Thanks Lord for a real fine season!

And with the formalities out of the way i better get back down to the hammer-mill and try to get the remainder of the pile ground today.
I’m a little over half way.
Are the other potatoes actually that pink? Or just the photo makes it look like that?

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The strain is Red Norland and they are quite pink due to being freshly washed. Tomorrow it will be a flater red color!

The other root vegetables are ready for-their long winters nap!

About the time the Potato’s move to the cellar i’ll be hanging a couple sides of Yak from the rafters while we cut & wrap this years red meat.

Attachments

• IMG_3340.jpeg
    IMG_3340.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3344.jpeg
    IMG_3344.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First thing this morning i drew 8 gallons of liquid off the fish barrel and sifted out the chunks so it would pour from a metal watering can without the rose.
After diluting it 2 to 1, the Raspberries, Asparagus, Comfrey, Pea and Pumpkin pots all got a healthy dose! Then it started raining👍, so i finished grinding the Compost and delivered it to the last beds; and, while on a roll I forked this years bin across the divider and am now done with Compost for the year😊. Thru the winter all the kitchen scraps and Rabbit poop will be added then the process starts all over in the spring. This is always a lot of work and it’s a great feeling to be done with it for the year. Im well pleased with the hammer-mill and not having to deal with any carryover now!
If it dries out before snow, i’ll gather the leaves and add them to this bin.

Attachments

• IMG_3352.jpeg
    IMG_3352.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3354.jpeg
    IMG_3354.jpeg
    542.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Alasgun , do you know when to dig up sweet potatoes? I don't eat them but my daughter in law wanted them and I don't know anything about them. I was weeding around them today and saw one coming up to the top of the ground.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@akroberts this link should get you in the ball park? They are not an Alaskan thing due to our season and the only ones i ever grew only got as big as pencils.😳
However i’m always happy to do a little research to help someone (you) out. ‘The Spruce” has always been a good resource for me.
We love them but ours are store bought these days. Hope you get a bushel from every plant!

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@akroberts this link should get you in the ball park? They are not an Alaskan thing due to our season and the only ones i ever grew only got as big as pencils.😳
However i’m always happy to do a little research to help someone (you) out. ‘The Spruce” has always been a good resource for me.
We love them but ours are store bought these days. Hope you get a bushel from every plant!
Thank you

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Alasgun , I wanted to let you know that I now have a new food item to try. The information for sweet potatoes said that the leaves can be ate, just like spinach and kale.

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, now we both learned something! Let me know what they taste like!
I will. I'm hoping they taste good enough that I can sneak them into other foods without anyone knowing. My family is so weird. If it's good for you they turn their noses up.