Phaedra's 2023 Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I dug out my mom's unproductive 30 year old asparagus patch with the hope of rejuvenating it, and by the end I clearly understood why they don't recommend trying to move or transplant asparagus. Their roots are beasts, like strange sea creatures from the abyss. It is far more fun to start adorable asparagus seedlings from seed-- an easy and endearing pastime. 🙂
True, your description is so true!

I heard that asparagus can produce up to 15 years for a decent amount every year. I guess, after that their roots will tangle with each other and become difficult to grow or get sufficient nutrition. So asparagus belongs to those 'need to be dug out, divided, and transplanted' perennials, and 10-year might be an ideal interval.

We plan to eliminate some raised beds this year, so after the transplantation, I will leave them in the new growing spots for at least 10 years. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As usual, Friday is the day we go to Lidl in the early morning for the 3Euro veggies bags. We got one with 25 bananas :lol: and one for below items.
13092.jpg

Well, they are totally fine in my opinion. Each banana costs 12 cents.
13079(1).jpg

Just some simple clean-up, they are as pretty as they can be.
13091.jpg

The small plums from the 3Euro bag last Friday -- after removed the damaged ones, I cooked them with Assam tea and turned them into two portions of jam. The big one went into the freezer after it cooled down, and the small one would be consumed soon. Then, I added some water into the pot that I made the jam and got another nice portion of iced plum tea. I am always pleased to add values to those plain ingredients.

13108.jpg

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Terrace on Slope N°2

Three months later, we built the second terrace on this slope. One cherry tree, two peonies, and one silverberry were relocated to somewhere else.

The old pavers are not only the barrier, but also offer a place to sit. Till now, we finally and 'officially' ran out of the old pavers, yeah! It's nice to see they are doing new jobs well in different places.

This N°2 terrace is now the first asparagus patch.
13107.jpg

I used some such papers from the delivery packages as a temporary weed barrier. Later, I will add a layer of compost and sow winter green manure (that will be killed by the hard frost).
13106.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We got another 3Euro bag today, and it offers a lot of goodies.
13171.jpg

I just made a joke yesterday and said I can try to make 10 jams from the 3Euro bags we get. #01 is the Assam Plum, and #02 happened just one day later - lime & grape. With the food mill, making such jam becomes so pleasant, as you don't have to take care of the skins and seeds.

I added three mint tea bags to cook with the leftover from the food mill and got another 1L grape and mint tea.
13170.jpg

Today's value-added works - three lime and grape jam, 1L grape and mint tea
13169.jpg

The artichoke is gorgeous - I didn't know it looks so much like a lotus.
13172.jpg

The weather is friendly, so we did a lot of cleaning work in the garden. Zinnias are still very robust and productive. I think I can really arrange a zinnia patch next year.
13176.jpg

13166.jpg

13177.jpg

I also harvested about 1/3 corns, and wow, they are pretty and very tasty, even I just simply steamed them.
13174.jpg

13173.jpg

It's a lovely day. Look at these cute summer raspberries. This is a young plant I propagated from the basal shoot with certain amount of roots. I believe that they will do very well in the next growing seasons.
13175.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After removing two raised beds, a new almost-full-sun area is back. I am not fully sure about how it will turn into, but maybe it's not a bad idea to consider an arch trellises for rose and grape? Meanwhile, I will keep planting on both sides.
13181.jpg

Maintaining this trail with pavers takes a lot of effort, but it did look nice. I also figured out the way to keep it tidy. Practices matter.
13180.jpg

After hardworking, DH and I enjoyed homemade ice cream, coating with 85% dark chocolate. His is strawberry, and mine is Matcha & adzuki beans.
13182.jpg

Yummy!
13167(1).jpg

The coming week, I will start cleaning my gardening tools and the greenhouse. I finally made up my mind to buy a tripod ladder for the hedge pruning, which will start also next week. In Germany, we can only cut the hedge during October to February, in order to protect the birds that might build their nests inside.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I dug out my mom's unproductive 30 year old asparagus patch with the hope of rejuvenating it, and by the end I clearly understood why they don't recommend trying to move or transplant asparagus. Their roots are beasts, like strange sea creatures from the abyss. It is far more fun to start adorable asparagus seedlings from seed-- an easy and endearing pastime. 🙂

so if you took those root balls and had a sturdy pole you could put them on the pole by wrapping with some heavy twine and then the animals could use them as a scratching post?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i like the open view and being able to see further back without having something else in the way, but i'm not exactly sure of the layout there anyways so ... take it all with plenty of grains of sand. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i like the open view and being able to see further back without having something else in the way, but i'm not exactly sure of the layout there anyways so ... take it all with plenty of grains of sand. :)
True, and this can save a lot of work and money to build the arch trellises.

Latest posts