Phaedra's 2023 Adventure

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I propose we all travel to Germany and descend on Phaedra's cafe/shop for a reunion, complete with tea and one of her delicious homegrown snacks! (Don't worry Phaedra, I'm just kidding! I seldom travel outside of a 20 mile radius from home, and never beyond 40 miles, these days. This will have to be one of my imaginary journeys, delightful nonetheless.)
I cannot beLIEVE that you would consider travel at this time of year, when Vermont is in the throes of beautiful fall color!!
Here, in Illinois, we NEVER see our leaves in the same way.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am re-arranging the standing pots in the greenhouse, and I love those Petunia that I propagated from cuttings. When they are growing outside, the rain can easily ruin their beauty - but in the greenhouse, they just shine.
12770.jpg

The forest strawberry I dug out yesterday and soaked overnight -- I sat outside as the weather is mild and cozy, listened to Sarah Raven's Podcast, and finished dividing them.

It looked ugly in the beginning, but Gosh, there are so many tiny plants inside this large clump! Although they are all connected to one crown, they have their own roots. I removed the dead stems, flower shoots, and larger leaves.
12766.jpg

From one clump, to 26 pots - I wish they can grow very well so next year, I can harvest a good amount for making pure forest strawberry jam.
12765.jpg

They will stay in the lower deck of this tiny greenhouse for maybe two weeks, without direct sunlight. After that, I believe their roots will start growing nicely and can be moved to the place with more sunlight. Such a tiny greenhouse is very handy imo, as long as it is stationed somewhere with wind protection. Most of the young and tiny plants I put inside grow nicely. In winter, it will be moved back to the glass greenhouse and offer double protection for propagated plants.
12768.jpg

The previous batch of residents - spider plants and geraniums all checked out as their roots are strong enough now.
12767.jpg

We went to Lidl this morning, and they have these pretty purple roses. I paid 10 Euros for two bouquets, totally 20 stems.
12772.jpg

12771.jpg

And let see if any can become the resident(s) for our garden~ :D
12769.jpg

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those are beautiful roses! Before I even read any further, I knew what you were going to do with them! And sure enough, you have almost 20 possible rose plants in the making. I hope you have great success in rooting these stems!
My expectation is low - if one can survive, it is already a grace - Enjoy the flowers first, and enjoy a plant again!
This year I already win two roses - one miniature rose from Lidl, and the other from a floral shop. :D

I also got 5 additional roses from our own roses, love them.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My Dady taught me how to make rooting hormone from willow. Cut the green new branch growth, about a foot long. Strip off leaves and cut the branch in small 1 inch pieces. Cover with water, soak 2-4 days. The water is the rooting medium.
Fascinating +1, I will try tomorrow as we have a willow. 🌷

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When we went grocery this morning, the weather is really lovely. I am grateful living in such a quiet but still convenient town.
12812.jpg

Another rose that grows from a tiny cutting - it didn't do well in the beginning and stayed in a 9cm pot till August. Then I transplant it to the large planter with other veggies and herbs. I guess this rose loves some companions.

It sends out a lot of new leaves!
12813.jpg

My plastic tool shed - also a nice place for whatever needs curing or drying
The gladiolus corms are drying nicely - the leaves and stems turn yellow day by day. I don't know how to describe it, but I do love this 'seasonal' feeling.
12818.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another day that I am proud of myself - a flower bed with new look and new life!
12828.jpg

Once upon a time, there was a poor flowerbed in front of our house. It's an 'almost-full-shade' location, so the previous owner(s) planted a few of shade-tolerant perennials like Rhododendron (with bright red flowers), ferns, holly tree, and some stonecrops.

When we moved in, I was an amateur garden and overwhelmed by the biggest garden I have ever had in my life. I made countless trials-and-errors in the main garden (west side) and not able to take care of this area at all.

Long story short, I decided to open a small shop this spring. This decision also means that I have to change this place with a totally different perspective. The renovation started from the end of May, basically for the room itself. Till the end of July, the flowerbed looked very sad, as some plants are destroyed by the workers (ya, they don't care about plants at all), and there were always trash or old materials inside.

12829.jpg

Most of the time, I just told myself be patient. The day to make it lovely again will arrive, so why not look at other places that need attentions?

The day is today - although I didn't really plan it. Earlier I brought some potted plants to give this bed a bit colors, but I have no idea how to give this weary wooden edge a new life. I want to create a place people can sit while waiting their drink and/or food, or have a chat.

Last week, the IKEA floor decking came in my mind, and I ordered one pack. Surprisingly, without taking too much effort or money, it fitted in well.
12830.jpg

When DH and I went to buy the metal pieces for making shelves, I took a can of grey paint (for wood) and six pots of heather. They are the most popular and wallet-friendly at this time of the year.

Isn't it lovely?
12827.jpg

The wall is scheduled to be repainted next year, but I think, the flower bed is lovely enough for my shop.
12826.jpg

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is lovely, Phaedra. And, you should be proud of yourself!

Something that I have not liked about raised beds is that if an inexpensive route is taken, they start off or soon end up looking bad. I'm an example of a raised bed failed artist.

Dad probably thought it was best that I had filled some of the space between with dwarf fruit trees and only glimpses were available from his backdoor and patio. It was in his backyard, after all 🙄.

Within a few years, I pulled the cedar boards off completely. The concrete block wall remained and planting petunias in them did work out fairly well. However, growing those plant starts was something of a pain since an 8" by 16" block has 2 small holes and was too restrictng even for petunias but a cap block would not have added anything to the look of that little retaining wall.

Steve
edit: restricting, not resisting ... dang autocorrect!

Last edited:

Latest posts