Rare Seeds ...

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Checking with someone else? What a novel idea!

Nope, DH has not been interested in MY garden for several years now so I buy what I want, pick a few things I know he will enjoy, order some of the new-to-me products and somehow come home from the post office with far more seeds and plants than my portion of land could ever handle. Works for me until DH decides to get out of the woods and back into the gardens.

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got a couple kinds of sorghum and some heirloom crowder peas. They arrived a month or two back shortly after I ordered online. :) Catalogue came late Friday night. Seems that online is less colorful, but offers additional selections.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You all made me curious about baker creek, so I got on the website and decided to see how much I would spend if I could get most of what I wanted. :th:th:th:th:th:th Over $300.:he:he:he:he

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I buy quite a lot of seeds from Baker Creek because I like the diversity they offer. I haven't noticed their shipping costs being higher than the other specialty seed companies I order from, but then I order quite a bit at once so it spreads the cost out. I just received my order for spring yesterday. I'd recommend ordering early.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've ordered a few catalogs this year, haven't received one yet. Come on people! Don't they want my money?!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is that all, @Wishin'? I suggest you take another pass through the on line catalog. You have obviously missed a great many 'pages' of seed varieties you didn't know you wanted.
:lol::lol::lol: I KNOW that is true.
That was with "self control", plus they are out of quit a few things. I only looked at five or so pages, mostly flowers and the novelty ones.

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been ordering from Baker Creek for the past 17 years. My how time flies!! From the moment I had that first paper catalog in my hands and read about all the different varieties of heirlooms, and read the mouthwatering descriptions along with the drawings of said varieties, I was hooked. And if any of the varieties said "rare.. or very rare.. well I just had to try a few. I had never even heard of most of the names or was even aware so many heirloom seeds were still in existance. I ordered black tomatoes, green when ripe tomatoes, orange/yellow, pink, white and of course red. Melons, watermelons, squash, cukes ... Anyways.. I have always been extemely satisfied with B.C seeds. Excellent germination and seed quality and quantity. Fast shipping. Reasonable shipping rates. In all these years of ordering, and the many seed packets I have ordered, I had two packets of tomatoes that were not true to type. They gave me credit back. Plus they sent me the seeds at no extra cost, with a different lot number. I always placed my order by phone and everyone was always friendly and very nice in answering my questions. I even talked to Jerre once when I had a question about a variety of squash I wanted to try. He was very friendly. They have a lot more customers and orders now then when they first started out. They prefer not to take orders by phone anymore. Be sure to place an order early as they sell out of popular items and limited quantities quickly. I placed my order a week and a half ago and received it four business days later. Except for the banana and fig plants which will be shipped in April. This is my first post in a while.. been busy with life.. so hello again. I have more catching up to do after the holiday. Missed you :) Ginny