Show off your beautiful Dahlia collections .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240825_073449_Chrome.jpg
This was part of my cut flower garden a dozen years ago. Perhaps it would be best if it was posted on the cutting flower thread because it would be impossible for me to identify more than just a few of the dahlias in any close up picture. I just wasn't oriented that way. They were for DW & DD to sell at the market. I gave up on this garden a few years after the picture was taken because there was so much ground available at our big veggie garden several miles away. Having to be at both locations 5 days each week was a little too much for a retired person ;).

This garden was at a rental house along with the little veggie garden on the other side of the bushes on the left. At one time, a friend (& the property owner) had the veggie garden but had health problems and turned it over to his son, who only wanted a small part of it. The single family house was on 4 lots. A flower garden in the backyard might have been okay for the renters.

Steve

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS’ your dahlia garden is extensive and a beautiful example of how dahlias can be grown and represents what is possible when growing a flower cutting garden.
When I dead head mine would have wagons full of dahlias at the end of the day. I see a lot of familiar dahlias. They can be a pain at the end of the season when it’s time to dig the tubers , dry and store over winter. But when the blooming season arrives it’s worth the hassle .
It can be a lot of work when actively growing other gardens at different locations or whatever. We have such a short season that everything needs attention all at once it seems. I agree dahlias are way too much at times . We need to draw a line somewhere to save energy for other projects.
It’s not like growing corn all harvesting flowers and tubers done by machines. Dahlia’s is a hands on process from beginning til the first frost. 👍💐😍 lovely field of dahlias. Job well done.👏
Thank you for sharing. 🙏🏽

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This was a later year with the dahlias in their new location.

dahlias2016.jpg

I don't much mind digging them out and replanting. If it is any annual, that soil prep and planting has to be done. Dug out over 2 visits, they were brought home covering the bed of the pickup. Cleaning them up and putting them in small bags of peat moss made the task of carrying a bunch of tubers easier as they went down the basement's stairs and came back up in the Spring. At least, they don't require the long weeks of starting seed and moving flats of plants around. That is, unless one is growing dahlias from seed ;).

Steve

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow those are some beauties. Looking like some newer crosses. 😍👏

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
‘Pineland Princess’ -pink color, ‘My Forever’-orange color . My garden dahlias.
Great for floral arrangements - flowers are picked early in the morning, place in water in cool place for 3 hours.
Recut dahlia stems under water for floral arrangements. Add anti fungi tablet or powder for florals into the water, place dahlias in arrangement as desired.

IMG_3451.jpeg

Last edited:

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fav dahlias this week from dead heading in a vase.
IMG_2930.jpeg

Last edited:

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi @digitS’ yes of course that is a pic of my dahlia garden and is still lookin good.That is the beauty of dahlias they bloom until the first frost. I’ve been growing dahlias for over 24 years and it never get old. Love to have flowers in Oct-Nov.

I mix dahlias with other garden perennials. It a fun way for every plant to shine and also show interesting combinations with different plants with similar care .
In this pic are zinnias, grasses, eucalyptus tree, Doug fir tree, Anemone flowers, golden Marigolds , Nasturtiums, and artichoke flowers. Add a touch of decorative grasses stripe and porcupine tall wispy grasses that stay in their own space don’t spread.

I think the colorful dahlias brings this group of plants alive with color and character.

IMG_3465.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very, very nice.

I have some trouble tolerating perennials because of weeds. Nevertheless, there they are, in our front and side yard. Dahlias function more like annuals but make a strong enough start that they compete well with the mix.

You must keep a journal to remind yourself of names :). Annddd, do you visit Swan Island?

Steve