stubbed toes and mud pies

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ibuprofen helped and i will take a few more before i go to bed. my toes/foot is kinda throbbing right now but at least with it partially propped up it doesn't really hurt enough to bother me or keep me from sleeping (as long as i don't bump it in the night).

also today i picked beans in two gardens and for part of one garden i was able to use a wheelie cart for half of it (just to try it out and it did help to not have to stand or bend my foot so much). makes things go slower but if it hurts less then that's ok. tomorrow i'll be in another garden where i can use the cart if i want to but i'm not sure how many beans in there will be ready so until i check it out i won't know if hauling the cart back there is worth it or not.

so there is a chance i get all the bean gardens picked through by the end of tomorrow. :) wasn't sure i was going to make it... :) well i'm not there yet, but at least i can see the train light at the end of the tunnel...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I so much prefer lawns to walk (and fall on).

Stumbling steve!

i can trip just walking on a perfectly flat and unobstructed floor so anything else is just adding more layers to the mix.

now i'm hungry for cookies (mix...). can't have any as i've had enough sweets today.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
definitely upping my quota of cookies the past few days. instead of chocolate chip Mom will be baking molasses cookies (with seedless red raspberry jam in the middle). i really like that cookie dough...

otherwise gardening i have to bury some tomato scraps from canning and a bunch of bean pods that didn't make the cut (empty, partially rotting, etc.). it's a good mix that will make the worms in that garden very happy... along with some corn cobs and leaves.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips, raisins and dates. My gram handed down this recipe from her side of the family.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Corncobs!!

Oh, Good Grief ..

. they stay around for evah.

Steve

they are down a foot and a half, that's perfectly fine place for them to be for a good long time. :) it's a good way to help break up the hard pan layer in the clay subsoil that is below the layer of somewhat improved garden soil. i dig it down deep enough to hit that layer (i can tell by the color and how hard it is to get through with the shovel) and then i go another half shovel down and put whatever organic matter i can find down there. bean shells/pods, debris goes in first and then the bucket of tomato scraps from canning goes on top then it gets buried as i dig the next hole so it is waiting for me to dump things in instead of me having to dig the hole when i might be tired or whatever. much nicer to have it all there dug out and ready.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
my room needs some cleaning, a part of getting that done was going through all the bags and flats of dry bean pods and making sure none of them were going to rot. some flats got put out in the sun and breeze yesterday to get a good airing out and i stirred them after a few hours to make sure they all got dried out. today i can put a few flats into one bag to free up some extra flats and space. now that things are pretty dried i can also stack some bags together to help get some space back.

shelling out some beans would also get some space back... tempting to start on some of the smaller batches... especially the experimental plantings that will have the most interest to me to start out with... ooh, too tempting, i have a lot of other things i need to do too besides cleaning, but cleaning some of this room needs to happen this week. cleaning is not a thing i really want to do much of this time of the year (there's always a lot of dust and flats around until after i'm done picking and shelling out beans). mainly i just need to get some of the worst dust bunnies rounded up (and check for spiders).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ugh, too tired to say much but it's continuing to be a busy time to get everything done and not being fully functional isn't helping, but we shall get through it all.

lawn did get mowed today, tomorrow will be picking tomatoes and canning, more dry beans need to be picked again but it won't happen immediately and i'm not really sure of when, but i'll try to fit some in someplace if i can.

pretty much all normal for this time of the year. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
picked tomatoes this morning, a bit later as i wanted the dew to be dried off. i still had to use my shirt a few more times than i'd have liked to get the dirt and moisture off the tomatoes, but i got it done. came inside, took a few minute break, got them all sorted, washed, dunked/scalded and the ones that needed some surgery had that done, took another break. a bit later got going on chunking them up and they're now finishing up. 21 quarts to add to the stock pile. not sure how many more we're going to do. ran out of quart jars and got into the two quart jars.

Latest posts