stubbed toes and mud pies

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday early evening i finally got a view of the critter that is eating my beans out back. yes, a large groundhog, i could not get a clear shot at it but i did scare it away. now at least i know what it is. it could have been a deer but i've not seen tracks around much lately... this is about the tenth one i've seen this year. buried nine of them so far. :(

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Absolutely hate those ground critters. So glad you know what’s after your beans. I have them ALL in the ground critter world. Just drives me crazy. I hope when I’m down under they won’t dig under to harass me there too. 🥴

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Absolutely hate those ground critters. So glad you know what’s after your beans. I have them ALL in the ground critter world. Just drives me crazy. I hope when I’m down under they won’t dig under to harass me there too. 🥴

i hope to be buried in a way that worms can play pinochle on my snout (a reference to a song we used to sing - which if you look it up doesn't read anything like the one we sang so forget i mentioned it).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today i have some corn to cut off the cobs and then a watermelon to cut into chunks. the debris from that and a bunch of other things needs to be introduced to the worm buckets and today is a good day for doing that since it is so wet outside. so my day is pretty much set. first of all we have a few friends stopping over for a few minutes.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
picking tomatoes this morning so we'll have those ready for processing this evening. then picking as many dry beans as i can get harvested. chances of rain later.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
smoke alarms are a pain in the ass sometimes. i'm wondering how many people get killed falling off ladders when trying to replace batteries...? anyways, we have had one that is annoying and it gets set off way too easy by moisture in the air. which isn't any fun at 3:30am... i went up and changed the battery yesterday and last night at 12:30am it decides to go off again, so today i'm going to have Mom buy two replacements and change them out for newer ones. hopefully the new ones won't have the same issue. which reminds me to tell Mom to not throw the receipt away as she often does that... they have a five year warranty, but are supposed to last 10 years.

oh well. at least i can still climb the ladder to get up there, but it sure is dusty up there above that area. i got the spider webs (some of them) while i was up there. that's a whole other issue with a high ceiling... ugh... long wand extension on vacuum, but that doesn't always work as well as we might need. it's not been done since the place was built so i guess it isn't too likely to be done much more than what i've done for now either. don't look up is my motto along with don't look down when i'm out in the gardens... :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our last smoke alarm was triggered by that moth at about 1:30AM.

It was hard to believe that he was messing around there for about a minute before I arrived but was so scared of me that he flew out as soon as I touched the cover.

Startling and yeah, I was AWAKE!

S 👀 teve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
well i have one unit of the proper model number but Mom did not pay very close attention to the model number on the 2nd box and got the wrong one. which is ok, we take it back and then get another one of the right kind... yes, she did keep the receipt. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i slept last night without being rudely awakened by the smoke detector so at least the new one is doing what it should be doing.

messed up my foot this morning (jammed toes on stair after slipping) not happy. i have a lot of bean picking and tomato picking and canning still to do and will be using that foot quite a bit for the next three days. i've been through this before so i know what it is like. won't be fun but life goes on...

at least i did get some sleep so i'm not grumpy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking back frequently to step out of the way of the faster 99.9% of pedestrians and those on scooters, during my long walk in the park yesterday, I went across
  • those plastic "speed bumps" that cover electric wires
  • "corduroy" board bridges (2!)
  • Stepping stones in grass
  • Lawngrass
  • Concrete sidewalks
  • Asphalt streets
I arrive all the way back within 100 ft of the car, looked back over my shoulder, and nearly fell over the slightest difference in a nice, wide concrete sidewalk.

I so much prefer lawns to walk (and fall on).

Stumbling steve!