stubbed toes and mud pies

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I saw one of the pics before. Does it come back from seed or the plant? Do you know the name or variety of it? If you don't your penance is to mail be a couple of plants in an envelope.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've always called it Creeping Thyme.

i recommend going to a greenhouse and getting them when they are blooming so you know exactly the color of the flowers you are getting. there are a number of varieties so you want to get the ones that have the bright purples you enjoy - there are some with a lighter paler purple and i'm pretty sure you don't want those and then i've also seen some with red. we have three or four different thymes here and only the creeping one is what i like the best. the others are taller and not as full when they flower plus they die back in spots. the creeping thyme just keeps on going...

it will grow from seeds but i think it is much easier to just go buy a few large plants and then cut them into quarters and put those plugs where you want to fill in an area.

do you have full sun? i'm not sure how well it does if the garden is shaded. six hours of sun a day is probably good enough.

sending small starts through the mail isn't really viable IMO as you do want a nice amount of plant to protect itself - i've never even gone looking for the seeds to know what they look like. very tiny is my guess. :)

as long as you don't plant it on a narrow ridge (with nothing to protect it on each side) it will probably be ok.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@flowerbug…I see how you acheived that full landscape bloom. You have established a beautiful landscape design. It certainly is a head turner. Very pretty 😍 .

I planted a section of Irish moss which also flowers under a dwarf maple tree and another small spot with thyme several years ago. They are evergreen , both have blue flowers.

These are one of those nursery hybrid plants called ‘Stepables’. They are also on the internet offer several different colors and varieties. They are tough plants withstands snow and ice and never deflates from walking on like stepping on a sponge.