The Pond Thread

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That’s a huge pond. If I get the energy to dig them out this fall , could send you a few.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Any one showing what’s bloomin in their ponds?
A couple hyacinth and hardy water lily.
IMG_2850.jpeg

Hardy water lily
IMG_1395.jpeg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@secuono Look at all your fish.fantastic. Tells how well your pond is balanced nice clear water. What invasive plant is taking over ?

Last edited:

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Aquatic mint.

Yikes .. I had no idea there was aquatic mint too. Dah ! I wonder if it helps keep the mosquitoes away?
No wonder it’s taken over . What type of filters do you use?
I’ve been fighting garden mint for years. The deer eat everything but mint…😳
Your pond is beautiful.😍

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yikes .. I had no idea there was aquatic mint too. Dah ! I wonder if it helps keep the mosquitoes away?
No wonder it’s taken over . What type of filters do you use?
I’ve been fighting garden mint for years. The deer eat everything but mint…😳
Your pond is beautiful.😍

Home made. Currently on one pump bc I got sick of replacing the brand. 300 gallons of filter space.
Then the bog. A bit over 1k gallons.
Then plants along the sides of the pond. Not fully yet, maybe 25ft worth so far. 100ft in all.
Last, a UV filter in spring & shade cloths.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your pond is beautiful. You have planned out every detail . It can be a lot of work but with the right balance of plants fish oxygen , the biodiversity helps balance the water, helps keep the fish and plants stay happy and healthy.
The pond water looks so clear. How old is the pond , is it lined, ? What is the base? just curious.
The yellow flag water iris has set seed do you want some?

Last edited:

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your pond is beautiful. You have planned out every detail . It can be a lot of work but with the right balance of plants fish oxygen , the biodiversity helps balance the water, helps keep the fish and plants stay happy and healthy.
The pond water looks so clear. How old is the pond , is it lined, ? What is the base? just curious.
The yellow flag water iris has set seed do you want some?
The upgraded pond was put in 2020? Same filters, though. Just larger.
45mil epdm liner. 20×30×4-4.5ft.

Have you gotten the seeds to sprout before??
10yrs of mine dropping seeds in the pond, bog, ground & me trying to get them to sprout and nothing. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The flag iris spread by runners they soon will take over a pond. Last time I removed them all but a small section and 5 years later they again have over run the area. It’s tough getting them up and out they are in pots and extremely heavy to lift out. I have never tried to start them from seed . I wouldn’t know where to start. I suppose the internet has some ideas. That’s why I asked if you wanted seed… I’m not sure my poor old back will be capable of getting any starts out. I need a deep sea diver for this chore. 🥴

I read this technique for starting iris from seeds. Funny I thought to share.
Soaking bearded & beardless iris. I put mine in a panty hose baggy and tie them in the loo tank for a couple of weeks. That way I don't forget to change the water.

Last edited:

Latest posts