The Pond Thread

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
The flag iris spread by runners they soon will take over a pond. Last time I removed them all but a small section and 5 years later they again have over run the area. It’s tough getting them up and out they are in pots and extremely heavy to lift out. I have never tried to start them from seed . I wouldn’t know where to start. I suppose the internet has some ideas. That’s why I asked if you wanted seed… I’m not sure my poor old back will be capable of getting any starts out. I need a deep sea diver for this chore. 🥴

I read this technique for starting iris from seeds. Funny I thought to share.
Soaking bearded & beardless iris. I put mine in a panty hose baggy and tie them in the loo tank for a couple of weeks. That way I don't forget to change the water.
Yeah, never got any to sprout, so I kind of don't believe it's possible. Maybe they're supposed to be digested first.
Tried soaking, wintering, scratching a side, in cup of water, in wet towel. Nothing worked.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish I could get the yellow iris seeds to sprout! Tried for several years, many different methods and even the ones that drop on the ground or in the pond never sprouted. =/

Mint is the only one I worry about now. Lol. It escaped the old pond...

if these are the same as the ones we have here they are a wild iris that grows in the ditches, we also have a wild purple iris someplace too. one time the yellow irises out front had seeds in them and i let them drop, years later we have a new patch which sprung up about 60ft down stream from the first patch (which is long gone now). so i'm guessing that if you scatter the seeds along the edge of a boggy ditch you may get some to sprout eventually. i don't think they like it right at the bottom but up a bit seems to be where they've taken.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was curious if I could try a shot at growing yellow flag iris from seed . I looked it up and this was what I found.
Harvest the orange-brown seeds when the seed pods ripen and open in the fall.Soak them in warm water for 24 hours before planting. Sow the seeds on moist, rich garden soil immediately for the best chance of germination the following spring.

Latest posts