Tomatoes for 2024

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Branching Out , tomato sauce recipe, pls. :love
We don't have an exact recipe as such. Essentially we put the tomatoes in a large stainless steel lasagna pan, cutting large ones in half and placing them skin side up. There should be just one layer of tomatoes, so if the harvest is good we bake two pans full. Some garlic cloves get tossed in, and sometimes a sliced onion or two. A drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt, and then in the oven it goes either for about an hour at 400F, or several hours at a lower temperature. Once it cools down we stir in fresh chopped basil, and then freeze it in glass jars. This past winter we found it really nice to be able to go to the freezer and pull out a jar of roasted tomatoes for a quick pasta supper. 🍝

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Waiting ..

. waiting ..

. waiting, for ripe tomatoes larger than cherries. I really didn't go for early production varieties in 2024. A Need to save seed ... Cherries are DW's choice for salsa sauce. She likes small batches, roasted and used immediately. Coming, one ingredient at a time, from the toaster oven. Gotta pay attention, peering through the little window.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ya know, it was OK that I got my beefsteak tomatoes in late. EVERYBODY is complaining about this tomato season.
All green fruit looks good, I have harvested a handful of small and large cherries, the green beefsteak keep multiplying and getting bigger. Gonna try @Branching Out 's recipe this Fall, except I will hot water boil them instead of freezing--personal choice.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First Bosu tomatoes beginning to turn red-- just beautiful. This one is supposed to be an excellent 'keeper', and is said to be good for canning too. Its origins are unknown, so if anyone has grown Bosu and knows its history please share it with us.

Attachments

• IMG_20240821_105408535.jpg
    IMG_20240821_105408535.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 17

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First Bosu tomatoes beginning to turn red-- just beautiful. This one is supposed to be an excellent 'keeper', and is said to be good for canning too. Its origins are unknown, so if anyone has grown Bosu and knows its history please share it with us.
I'm growing it this year too. The plants are done, I harvested almost all remaining tomatoes from the vines today. Another variety with outstanding production that can rival any hybrid. The fruits I've found are actually a dark pink , not so much red, at least not compared to the other reds I have out there.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year a friend gave me a seedling of what was supposed to be Black Beauty, however it was likely an outcross. The plant grew extremely vigorously, and produced purple coloured saladette shaped fruits. I saved seeds to grow out a second generation this summer; so far it looks like those plants are producing fruits similar to the ones that grew last year. The first ones are just beginning to mature, ripening to red on the bottom. I really love the intense purple and claret pigments on these tomatoes. And there are lots of them! We plan on harvesting them for sauce, or for drying.

Attachments

• IMG_20240820_112953954.jpg
    IMG_20240820_112953954.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240820_113003415.jpg
    IMG_20240820_113003415.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Latest posts