Weed exterminators

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
These darned nettles were dug out and binned then they just grew right back. TWICE! :barnie It's ruddy impossible getting rid of them.

I've ordered the strongest vinegar I could find 30% .
I'll have another go then add the vinegar and use your cardboard method as well. Fingers crossed I can then get my thyme plants in at long last

I so wanted to plant this thyme then these aliens have invaded. I have rosemary and lavender there and apparently both plants are good companions for thyme .

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hope you're still here @Shades-of-Oregon

Would 30% be strong enough? It's for my garden not a patio, and patio weed vinegar is all I am seeing so far
There are many concentrated forms of vinegar on Amazon that are already mixed for weeds , Or there are some concentrated forms not pre mixed and mix as strong as you need.

Link below helps explain the use of hort vinegar is stronger than table .

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There are many concentrated forms of vinegar on Amazon that are already mixed for weeds , Or there are some concentrated forms not pre mixed and mix as strong as you need.

Link below helps explain the use of hort vinegar is stronger than table .
Omg
After reading that I don't have much of a chance these devil's have been shooting up all of this year
I've got Epsom salt and of course washing up liquid. I hope I don't kill my lovely rosemary and lavender knowing my luck they will die and these blasted nettles will take over

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had the same problem with stinging nettles. Constantly pulling out and they were in an area where I could spray with weed killer. Haven’t had them come up in years. However the past few years have wild blackberry coming up in the middle of many plants in the garden …no thanks to the birds. All I can do is clip them down as low as possible without harming the plants near by. It’s a giant pain they grow so fast. I clip them out and pile them up then use the mulcher mower to run over them a few times and chop them to smithereens.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The best way to rid yourself of stinging nettle is to not let the weeds go to seed. Plants spread by seeds, some spread underground, too, by runners, and others, like bindweed, will replant itself.
Stinging nettle is spread by seeds.
Pull it before it sets seeds.
I have also, when I miss a burdock plant and it's in a really bad place in a bed with stuff that I want to keep, I cut it down as low as possible, cover it with a generous piece of cardboard, and put a brick on top. I did that this year in one of my beds and it didn't grow back.
Another thing is to mow and keep mowing.
I have also dug out runners in a bed by dumping shovelfuls of soil into a wheelbarrow, digging deep enough to find the end of the runners, worked them out of the soil and threw the runners in the trash, then put back the soil.
Interesting that tea and vinegar can combat weeds without chemicals, too, but you need to combat them from all angles.
I replied to you last night but now i can't see the post. I am sorry.

I wrote that I'll be using this vinegar then putting the cardboard on top. @baymule mentioned this cardboard method before.

Gosh this gardening lark is difficult

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marie,

These are favorite weeding tools (I usually prefer long-handled but have both short & long).

Screenshot_20240904_045938_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20240904_045955_Samsung Notes.jpg

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A spray bottle to spot spray weeds is my fav tool along with clippers to clip off those wild Himalayan blackberry’s that pop up in the crowns of garden plants

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cardboard does help smother the weeds out, but it decomposes and they come back. With applying the vinegar first, you ought to have great success!
EXCEPT.
My old gardener and hin even older friend came with him.

My goodness we were really busy all day long. Sadly they didn't mark out where the stingy nettles were. So I will have to keep an eye out on the next dry day to get that vinegar in then with this cardboard on top pronto

The best part of the holding back on the vinagar though. My old chicken was in her elements, she absolutely went crackers out there digging out the bugs and what ever else she was digging. I wouldn't have taken that pleasure away from her for nothing.
She's completly caked in dirt bless her. 🤣

It's supposed to be raining again tomorrow. So this vinegar and cardboard will just have to wait

I'm just sooo relieved most of that hard work is done.