What are you canning now?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am about to print labels from my two sets of vegetable broth bc they have different vegetables and will taste different.
I KNOW that you shouldn't be canning broccoli and cauliflower, but that's bc they end up mushy.
Here are my labels, which I will print today and use packaging tape on the sides of the jars:
Vegetable Broth, August 12, 2024
Ingredients:
Celery
Carrots
Onions
Garlic
Peas
Vegetable Broth, August 29, 2024
Ingredients:
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Sugar Snap Peas

I used the Font "Blackadder".

This turkey broth is SO RICH that I plan to make soup with it this winter. Next turkey I plan to freeze the bones sloppy again, with meat adhered to them.
Broth making is so satisfying! Everything you buy looks watered down. I don't use any vegetables that are slimy, but I Do use celery pieces that are browned or onions that are dried out. I bought some onion powder and garlic powder last year in these small rectangular containers. They dried out but they smell great, and are excellent at creating flavor and I don't have to use onions or garlic to get that.
I recommend NOT adding any salt to your broth. You should add that to the food when you use the broth.
I am asking SIL for another cheapo crock pot for Christmas and to buy it soon, since we have a Longshoreman's strike at 24 US ports going on, and supplies will be dwindling and become more expensive.
I will have had my crock pot running on HIGH for 8 days straight when I finish the next batch on Friday.
I am also processing tomatoes. I am using my programmable and nicer crock pot for this. I don't recommend using this for days long broth processing bc you have to check it and turn it off and on again. I will automatically turn itself off.
The tomatoes will can better if they cook down for about 6-8 hours so this won't be a problem.

Attachments

• Vegetable broth, broccoli, cauliflower & sugar snap peas, 09-29-24.jpg
    Vegetable broth, broccoli, cauliflower & sugar snap peas, 09-29-24.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Turkey broth, very rich, 10-01-24.jpg
    Turkey broth, very rich, 10-01-24.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 3

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I know that I often learn things from my friends here who are experts on topics.
I have been canning tomatoes for over 20 years and I have learned a few things.
1) it's better to can what's on the table than let them go bad
2) can the tomatoes with imperfections bc you can cut them out while processing
Save the best fruit for you and your family to pig out on!
3) you put tomatoes in boiling water to help peel them.
a) you need a good rolling boil or close
b) you look for tomatoes to split
c) once ONE splits you can take the others out of the boiling water. They WILL be easy to peel
d) The "10 second" rule is only a guideline. If you bring in green tomatoes after a frost, the longer they take to ripen off the vine, the tougher the skins get
4) put the hot tomatoes in a colander and let them cool so you don't burn your fingers!
5) use a crock pot to cook them down bc when you can you won't end up with a layer of tomato water on the bottom and the tomatoes floating on top. It can still happen somewhat and your tomatoes are still fine and tasty, just looks bad. If you have to use a pot on top of the stove you will need to monitor them so that they don't burn
6) most cooks use pints for pretty much everything that Il process. That doesn't mean I listen to them!
I prefer quarts, myself...
7) Your hot water bath canner will probably spill water over on the stove if you can with quarts, BUT, I can do many batches of high acid foods in a row, unlike pressure canning high acid foods, which eats your day away waiting for the pressure to build up, paying attention to the heat, and waiting for HOURS for the canner to cool
8) IF you have a pressure canner and, like me, you have purchased a 2nd rack, That makes a Great way to cool down your jars. It sits 1/2 inch above the canner and has holes so your jars have air flow underneath I just figured this one out. I was using a big wooden cutting board before.
9) Finally, don't make the mistake I did forever--when the jars cool REMOVE the screw tops. Many of us store our jars in the basement and the screw lids will rust there. After you can for a few years you're gonna have a plethora of screw lids anyway, and you will be buying mostly lids.
10) ALSO, it is usual for ME to have pressure canning spillage. IDC
I want my jars to be pretty full Some day I will figure out how to avoid this, but my pressure canner is always super clean!!
11) I don't usually have spillage when I hot water bath can.
12) Really, TRULY, Finally,
You CAN start the jars and water cold for hot water bath canning AND for pressure canning.
You CAN start the produce and jars hot for hot water bath canning AND for pressure canning.
NEVER put hot in cold water OR even room temperature in hot water.
The jars are sensitive and you will have a big mess! :sick
I am back to 60+ quarts of tomatoes, so even planting late I am still ok for cooking this winter with tomatoes.

Latest posts