What are You Eating from the Garden?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garden in a pot supper. I added a nice dried herb mix and it was so good.
BF7DC6B2-9ECE-4DE5-BBA5-493297FEA353.jpeg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
And, reading @SPedigrees , I am again exposed to our wonderful world of diversity in Tastes. I might once have thought, maybe as a toddler, that tastes are all the same as mine 🧒 .

Summer squash, I am squash out before I begin. Pickled cucumbers, I like them but even the gherkins are a little too much for me. Pickled beets? As much as I like beet greens, pickled? Oh no!!

Steve, avoiding congestion in the canning supplies aisle
Even in a single individual, tastes can change dramatically over time. As a kid I disliked pickled foods and wouldn't eat ham or eggs.. Then as a young adult these foods suddenly gained appeal. DH hated mint and cloves until in his later years he came to embrace both. Never say never I guess.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday we roasted tomatoes with garlic for ground beef and pork meat sauce. There were chunky garden carrots added too, for a touch of sweetness. That prep work made for an easy supper tonight- Spaghetti Bolognese with fresh basil.

Attachments

• IMG_20240903_172641134.jpg
    IMG_20240903_172641134.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 15

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I have become so maxed out on summer squash prepared in my usual way (sliced and microwaved with butter) that I despaired of ever using up the suddenly mass-producing crop. It doesn't freeze especially well either.

Then yesterday I watched a couple videos on how to fry squash. I'm probably the only person alive who has never fried vegetables, nor as far as I remember, eaten fried vegetables. But inexplicably all of a sudden the idea appealed to me.

The reality proved even better than the hypothetical idea. In fact these little fried medallions were positively addictive, so much so that I killed off half of the squash in a big giant bowl. I refrigerated what I didn't eat, and despite warnings that fried squash doesn't save well, re-heated squash rounds today still retained some taste appeal when combined with baked haddock and mashed potatoes. I plan to cut and fry up the rest of the squash.

This has to be the easiest dish to make. Apparently squash juice is sticky enough that egg batter is not needed, and a coating mix of corn meal with salt and pepper sticks to the squash rounds without help while frying in olive oil. I hate to waste food, especially food I raised from seed, so this was a brilliant solution. Probably like a "well duh!" answer to most everyone else.
FriedSummerSquashSep2024a.JPG

Squash soaking up breading for the required 5 minutes against a backdrop of still ripening tomatoes.

FriedSummerSquashSep2024d.JPG

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I have become so maxed out on summer squash prepared in my usual way (sliced and microwaved with butter) that I despaired of ever using up the suddenly mass-producing crop. It doesn't freeze especially well either.

Then yesterday I watched a couple videos on how to fry squash. I'm probably the only person alive who has never fried vegetables, nor as far as I remember, eaten fried vegetables. But inexplicably all of a sudden the idea appealed to me.

The reality proved even better than the hypothetical idea. In fact these little fried medallions were positively addictive, so much so that I killed off half of the squash in a big giant bowl. I refrigerated what I didn't eat, and despite warnings that fried squash doesn't save well, re-heated squash rounds today still retained some taste appeal when combined with baked haddock and mashed potatoes. I plan to cut and fry up the rest of the squash.

This has to be the easiest dish to make. Apparently squash juice is sticky enough that egg batter is not needed, and a coating mix of corn meal with salt and pepper sticks to the squash rounds without help while frying in olive oil. I hate to waste food, especially food I raised from seed, so this was a brilliant solution. Probably like a "well duh!" answer to most everyone else.
View attachment 68568
Squash soaking up breading for the required 5 minutes against a backdrop of still ripening tomatoes.

View attachment 68569
You can also cut it up like french fries. Cover with a little milk and mix some flour with whatever seasoning you want. They're addicting.

Latest posts