What are You Eating from the Garden?

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I sautee summer squash with lots of onions. Sometimes I put some tomatoes in there; sometimes cover with shred cheese.
That sounds like a version of ratatouille, which is slices of summer squash and zucchini cooked with fresh tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and butter. I usually make a batch of this, sometimes adding cooked macaroni or shells. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find zucchinis this year. When my yellow squash began producing, all of the farmers market sellers' zucchinis were past and gone, and grocery store zucchinis did not look good, so next year I guess.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soup today.

Celeriac along with the carrots – The celery root has had some problems, as most everything in the expanded backyard garden beds. The center row of the celeriac plants mostly died! Yes. The other 2 rows did fine, especially the one with the most afternoon shade but the other's performance indicated that it wasn't just the heat and intense sunlight of mid-Summer. All I can think of is that there is a tree root down there that interfered seriously with the celeriac. They were replaced with some of the late planting of bok choy and those plants aren't lagging or anything.

Anyway, this was the second celery root for the kitchen and considerably bigger than the first tennisball-sized root. Maybe they will finish the year in a normal fashion and be similar to the others, over the 15 or 20 years of growing this crop. Important for our soup making and as an addition to mashed potatoes, good veggie!

Steve

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Petit Gris de Rennes melon with fresh garden raspberries. A delicious combination!

Attachments

• IMG_20240916_080304338.jpg
    IMG_20240916_080304338.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 4

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The very first galia melon with my 2nd breakfast.

We have really paid a price with me crowding things. Delay, delay. The very windy early start to the growing season certainly slowed the tomatoes down and, maybe to, the ground-hugging melons. Winter and Summer squash were in better locations and grew just fine, certainly the zucchini. Cucumbers, same location story and performance. Lots!

Beefsteak tomatoes are now HUGE and finally ripening in great numbers. Beans to pick and now, snow peas.

From their second planting, the remaining bok choy will soon send up stalks and buds. These will replace the gai lan in stir-fries. Those big guys have certainly performed well :).

Steve