What Did You Do In The Garden?

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The solar lights do light up the birds and bugs . They are made of a hard durable plastic. Isn’t everything plastic anymore… 😉
Also many different styles/characters to add to gardens . If you get a chance google garden solar lights you will find a lot of choices even some that randomly change colors during the night.
I brought all my solar lights in it’s started the fall rain , misting season.

These post lights each one change colors all night.

View attachment 69893
I have one color changing light. It's in an area we used to joke was the Los Vegas area of our property.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ducks4you Great idea 🤩 I have decoupaged holiday pics on canning jars then fill with fairy lights. The batteries are a bit of a pain. You can add fairy lights to just about anything . Wreathes, swags , table center pieces or whatever for the holidays.

@SPedigrees Said have - “ Las Vegas area in your garden? “. it must be sandy or a slot …spilling out silver dollars…😉

Last edited:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The batteries (a single re-chargable AA) in my cheapo lights are easy to change, but I do hate having to clean out the spiders that have set up house-keeping in each light when I bring them in for the winter. The batteries are always still going strong at the end of summer, but to avoid problems I buy new ones each spring.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@SPedigrees solar lights do add a bit of color in winter gardens. I keep a few out in protected areas to store light.
I use the blow up recharge solar storage light when we loose power, kept in sunny window. And bring in all the little post solar bugs inside to light up a path thru the house.
They come in handy inside at night too when a storm knocks out the power.
And this solar blow up light stores solar light great for power outages.
IMG_4948.jpeg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had my husband take out a small persimmon tree. Though I love persimmons I finally got tired of the squirrels getting every single one of them. This year I tried clam shells on a couple of them but of course you can't possibly put one on every persimmon. Real Estate is just too valuable around here so in its place will go a trough where I have 2 blueberries planted.

Where the trough was will go a couple of 15 gallon containers with fig trees. I am getting into blueberries and fig trees.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sheets of stuff ? I’m curious… what’s in the sheets… seed capsules, veggies, flower heads?

old spent lavender plants that she wanted to remove. russian sage stalks she doesn't like leaving over winter. she's a lot more into "deadheading" than i ever have been. i'm very much a let nature take its course sort of gardener. i figure they've been growing for millions of years, who am i to question that? :) i do bury garden debris for the annuals and stuff but that to me is just keeping it from blowing all over plus it gives the worms something to munch on. of course, in a perfect world i could leave them alone as a surface mulch but Mom will give me the big stink face if i do too much of that... :)

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@flowebug… got ya. I’ve heard of flowerbeds , but not necessaitly the sheets part! 😉
I agree a lot of plants that will look tattered and moldy in winter are easier to remove while dry . The snow /ice storms we seem to get will only freeze them to the ground. It’s a lot easier to clean up now than wait til winter
freeze . There have been a few times when I have had to scrape debris up from the frozen ground. Not fun…

Getting lazy this year I just clean out the flowerbeds toss everything to the side that is just garden/leaf debris then mower mulch into tiny pieces . Lots of leaves this time of year to mulch. It is now a daily thing with leaf clean up.
But I can’t complain the Autumn leaf color is gorgeous . Great weather support to allow the landscape to glow in the afternoon sunshine.
IMG_4858.jpeg

Reactions: pjn