What did YOU do in your garden today :P

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH and I worked on the support for the peas. The peas seem fragile to me. They should be standing better and they are growing next to lattice and still fell over. I planted a few celery plants I started from seed. I picked all the spinach and it was starting to bolt, so I dug it all up and I planted beets, carrots, and basil. I planted a cherry tomato and a couple of pepper plants. I also planted a Pink Brandywine and a couple of San Marzano tomatoes. I transplanted more hollyhocks that I found and I planted some Love In A Mist. I took the sweet potato slips off the sweet potatoes growing in the kitchen and put the slips in water to grow roots. I just hope I can find a place to plant them. I also planted more spinach.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pinched the flowers. Does anyone else do this?

I was out in the snapdragons - pinching them so their bloom cycle is delayed. I try to do 1/3rd, then another 1/3rd in a week, or so. 1/3rd is untouched and if I do it right, they will not all bloom madly at the same moment, then quit!

I moved on to the zinnias. About 100 plants, there was already 2 open flowers . . . each about the size of a nickel. Those plants need to grow, not bloom, not yet.

I came home and the shed no longer has an attached hoop house! Quickly, the plastic film is now stuffed in a bag. Hoops are down, rebar pulled! Six weeks are downstream.

Steve :)
further and further from things we have done, leaving them one by one . . . watchin' the river run . . . run river, run

I pinched all of my seedling snapdragons to get side growth, so they wouldn't be so leggy. That's a great idea, delaying the timing of the blooms in rounds!

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am finally starting to set out tomatoes and peppers in the hoop house. Tomatoes are done, peppers I will keep chipping away at all week.
The guys who are putting in our basement scooped up our 18' magnolia tree and moved it away from the house. We'll see if it lives! We are balanced on I-beams and cribbing. Someday, the siding will match.
image.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whoa!!

I think I'd like it better sitting on my milk crate out in the garden. . . @buckabucka , maybe it helps get you out of the house and out under the hoops. I stayed out under the plastic thru a hailstorm the other day! I knew it was raining but missed the fact that the hail was hammering things in the yard. How's that for being happily oblivious to what is going on around you?

This should be the day to get pea trellis up out in the big veggie garden. The wind was so strong 2days ago, I don't know if that would have helped. I had left most of the tomato starts tied to bamboo stakes. That will have to come off and won't make any difference as they grow. With the stakes, 1 plant broke and 1 of the stakes broke!

Rather than replace that tomato, I just did a lot of hilling around it. I think it can set roots above the break. I'm not relying on 1 plant for a crop so can risk giving it a chance.

I wish I'd held some of Russ' bean seed back as insurance against that low-life marmot . . . Threw caution to the winds on that, apparently :rolleyes:.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your house reminds me of a trailer I regularly pass. They built a deck on it and used a couple of 55 gallon drums as supports. Redneck engineering at its finest. That was two years ago. At least yours is temporary.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am finally starting to set out tomatoes and peppers in the hoop house. Tomatoes are done, peppers I will keep chipping away at all week.
The guys who are putting in our basement scooped up our 18' magnolia tree and moved it away from the house. We'll see if it lives! We are balanced on I-beams and cribbing. Someday, the siding will match.
View attachment 2678[/QUOTE

Yikes Bucka! No running through the house for you for a bet eh?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

I'm open to new ideas about pea trellises. A double row with livestock fencing in between looks ideal to me but I have all these 4' wide beds that I need to cover in the big veggie garden. Also, I don't have any livestock fencing these days.

What I do is with baling twine. The cross boards and supports are wired together. It helps to put a board for a brace at, especially, the windy end of the things.

I would like the wind to die away and the sun to come out - instead, it may start raining soon. DW doesn't want to go with me and I may pass on the trellis-building today. Risky . . . the peas can really get ahead of us. Oh, the picture above is from an earlier year.

Too late to sow more pea seed, @Gardening with Rabbits ? I don't know. I'm usually following peas with beans and in a hurry to get the peas out in early July. You should be able to sow snow peas the last week of July for some more in September/October.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score

I'm open to new ideas about pea trellises. A double row with livestock fencing in between looks ideal to me but I have all these 4' wide beds that I need to cover in the big veggie garden. Also, I don't have any livestock fencing these days.

What I do is with baling twine. The cross boards and supports are wired together. It helps to put a board for a brace at, especially, the windy end of the things.

I would like the wind to die away and the sun to come out - instead, it may start raining soon. DW doesn't want to go with me and I may pass on the trellis-building today. Risky . . . the peas can really get ahead of us. Oh, the picture above is from an earlier year.

Too late to sow more pea seed, @Gardening with Rabbits ? I don't know. I'm usually following peas with beans and in a hurry to get the peas out in early July. You should be able to sow snow peas the last week of July for some more in September/October.

Steve

That looks really nice. I just realized that I am not supporting the peas enough and I need to make a different type of trellis. I had some get blown over with the wind the other day.

Latest posts