What did YOU do in your garden today :P

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I spent the whole day working in the yard and flower gardens with DH. While I enjoy working together, it is harder. He hunts, I gather. I weed a bit, neaten up a flower bed, scratch a few baby weeds, transplant flowers, etc. He hunts an area that needs attention and attacks it. No stopping or resting until the whole area is hunted out. Either way the work gets done, but his was is rush, rush, rush. I should be going slower, but try to keep up with him. Tired!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Busy day! I watched my 4 yr old niece most of yesterday and she stayed the night (absolutely no sleeping went on among the kids, but DH and I did manage to mostly sleep through it) and has been with us all day. And I've still managed to: prep the spot where the tomatoes will go in tomorrow, ran out to the strawberry U-pick with 3 little ones in tow and brought back 3 gallons of berries (to cut up tonight), trellised the cukes, planted a row of sweet potatoes, set out my 20 transplants of bok choy (late, I know), 10 swiss chard seedlings, 2 rocoto peppers, 2 malabar spinach, 2 eggplant, 9 sweet potatoes, 2 hills of yellow summer squash, 2 hills of zucchini, and interplanted radish seed between all the cukes (which are up already, yay!)

And the best part...EVERYTHING is mulched that has been planted so far! :weee

Tomorrow I conquer 50 tomato plants, lots of beans and sweet corn...

ETA: I totally know what you're talking about, @Smart Red ! ;)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just plant a bush type, Little Marvel's, that don't require trellising.

I planted those last year and they fell over. I planted a taller one this time and I think I am going to have to make it where they grow up between two rows of twine. DH has them up right now, but we should have had this worked out when we first planted them. The Little Marvel did stand up for a long time before they fell over, so I was not prepared for these to be so weak.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been weeding and mulching the last few days. Cucumbers are looking good, squash is up, pole and bush beans look really good, onions and garlic look good, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant hanging in there. I planted the best looking ones that I had. I put the rest back under the plastic at night and bring them out during the day. I am trying to figure out where to plant them and now they look better than the ones in the garden. I almost wish I had not planted everything. I said I was going to cover them when not 50, but :( not enough time. Forecast does not show 50 for the low until 7 days from now. I am working on a place for sweet potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, cantaloupe, and some basil, well not some basil, a lot. The Swiss chard, bok-choy, mustard, and lettuce are growing, and I see a lot of strawberries forming and a lot of flowers on the raspberries.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sowed a large area with strawberry popcorn.

Sowed another area with radishes. Now that we know that cooking them will get rid of the heat everybody loves them.

Re-sowed bare areas in the bush beans. Also transplanted a few.

Transplanted some more tomatoes.

Mulched about half of the garden with straw.

This includes the past couple of days. I've also been working on tidying up the yard/ trees/ flowerbeds. We also slaughtered a troublesome goose this morning, I know have bruises up and down my arms (some are particularly chewy).

@Chickie'sMomaInNH Don't forget to post pictures of that Glass Gem corn! I might be jumping on the Glass Gem bandwagon next year (Ma saw a picture of one of the cobs on the internet).

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cook radishes? What do they taste like then?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wanted to have an alternative to water chestnuts in stir-fry, @seedcorn .

Now that I have your hopes up, no a radish probably doesn't exist that tastes like water chestnuts . . . at least, there's a crunch.

Cooking just smoothes out their flavor. They lose any resemblance to wasabi, also.

:\ Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
went to my mom's to do some house work to help her after her surgery this week. ended up in the backyard after and decided to take a few pieces of her hosta that i didn't have already. while i was checking one large dark blue/green type i noticed it had 'baby' hostas coming up around it! i ended up digging those up along with getting 4 different 'adult' plants to bring home. also dug up some agastache and jack in the pulpit that have been freely growing under the grape arbor. also got cuttings of the grape i'm hoping i can get those to root.

came home and planted my larger hosta specimens, agastache and jack in the pulpits in the ground and just finished planting the 'baby' hosta in a flat in the house. those will eventually get put outside and watched over carefully for any special traits they may start showing. so far they are just solid green with a few showing puckering of the leaves.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spent most of the day planning and laying down weeping hoses...needless to say, rain on tap for the rest of the week! Never fails...