What did You do Right?

mikethegardener

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My bottle gourds and mini pumpkins are flowering, and the dahlias have buds. That's pretty much it. :hide ;)

In all seriousness, pretty much everything has bloomed (I do more flowers than veggies) and August is just a slow month waiting for dahlias, asters, and goldenrod.
Bottle gourds and mini pumpkins are so cute. And yay for dahlias and asters on the way! August can be a slow month, but it's nice to have something to look forward to. Enjoy the fruits of your labor

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had the first harvest from the pepper plants in the outdoor beds.

They are right at 1 month later than the same variety in the greenhouse bed. No shade out there, they are in a very protected location and yet, 4 weeks later than the ones on the other side of a thin film of plastic. And, they are still smaller plants.

I once thought to put up a wall (no roof) in my distant garden. Once, I had a low tunnel over a not-at-home bed. Despite visiting 5 days each week, it didn't work well. Dumb idea. A simple wall of plastic film would be different, of course, but I wasn't at all sure if it would be worth the bother.

Steve

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What could go wrong if I put leftover food on a paper plater to warm up in a microwave….and walk away forget it.
A fire if course. Oh what a mess. I smelled somethin burning..walked right by the micro wave never stopped to check it , until I saw flames thru the glass window thru the microwave door. 🔥

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My wildflower garden, which will look better after I weed it, really turned out nice this year.
LATE tomatoes are doing well, and we are Eating cucumbers, even though Fall planted and only 3 are producing right now, should be able to harvest from the other seedlings in about 3 weeks, so there WILL be pickling.
My plan is prep for 2025. Weeding, tilling and covering. Since I had help removing the 2nd limb and 1/2 of the 2023 fallen Larch, I can get in to weed next to the house aGAIN.
Also, I am encouraging the turnips (OR turnip greens) which have spread like WILDFIRE in the big garden and other places.
BEST COVER CROP EVER!!!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The difference in size:
  • The Largest of the outside peppers is 14 inches.
  • The largest of the greenhouse peppers is 28 inches with others just an inch or 2 shorter.
All the same varieties and started at the same Spring moment. Greenhouse peppers are double the size of those outdoors, becoming weighted with peppers and will soon need more twine on their trellising.

I finally transplanted an okra in the greenhouse....and it's the first time I can harvest okras, and they are bigger than I expected! Now I know, okra loves super hot environment :lol: (or maybe they hate cold nights here in summer....). In the past few years, they just didn't survive, even I put them on the west-facing site.
24205.jpg

24204.jpg

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Started getting into plants
Warning … as I explain with a huge grin…plants can become annoying at times, especially when a new gardener enters the hobby , it can become addicting while collecting plants is fun and rewarding it nice to share with hardeners on this site.

Last edited:

Latest posts