What did You do Right?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think that I only grew okra once, @Phaedra .

It was years ago, outdoors, and when Dad shared half of his garden with me. Dad grew up in New Mexico. He was obviously not impressed but I don't remember him saying anything 😟.

Sorta, the same as when I have tried sweet potatoes ...

Steve 🤷‍♂️
Steve, this time, the okra surprises me, no, it shocks me! I will take a photo and you will understand. It grows like a tree.....oh my, I never know an okra can grow so huge. I might need to remove it soon from the raised bed - it's already two meter high now.

I'm pretty curious so I keep two pods for the seeds. Gosh, the pods can also grow until soooooooo big :eek::clap

Hornad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Steve, this time, the okra surprises me, no, it shocks me! I will take a photo and you will understand. It grows like a tree.....oh my, I never know an okra can grow so huge. I might need to remove it soon from the raised bed - it's already two meter high now.

I'm pretty curious so I keep two pods for the seeds. Gosh, the pods can also grow until soooooooo big :eek::clap
I grew okra this year.
I grew 8"
IMG_8645.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This post should probably be moved off a thread about finding the "right" path because the tomatoes went both ways. Late – the most of them are showing up at what could be the absolute end of the season. We have had frosts plenty of years by this date.

Dragging their feet, nonetheless, they are certainly larger than usual. The size just might be the result of using compost as a mulch. All of the recent years, I have grown potted cherry tomatoes in 100% homemade compost. Pots of 6 gallon capacity restrict plant growth and the same varieties, in the open garden 17 miles away, always did better.

I've never grown beefsteak tomatoes here at home and, if I ever mulched tomatoes, I don't remember it. Applying organic fertilizer mid-season is common practice.

Well, the tomatoes ripening are "full size" in 2024.

IMG_1075.jpeg
This Gary O Sena is 1 1/4 pounds. I had to restore seed from Restoration Seed several years ago and they say that Gary O Sena can produce 20 ounce fruit. Bingo. However, it has never done that for me.
Here's a thread I put on TEG a dozen years ago and you can see the larger tomato in the first group is Gary O Sena. What I wrote was that it was 14 ounces. Well, some of them are 6 ounces larger in '24! LINK

Stephen :)

Latest posts