Your Weather 2023

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
At 5pm yesterday it started to rain, and then off and on I could hear the sounds of raindrops hitting our metal roof through the night. I had placed a cup out on the deck, and it looks like we got about 7mm, or 1/3" precipitation. How wonderful is that? The whole yard is wet and I didn't have to water it! Now the sun is out again as we head in to what could be our last three warm days of summer.
This is cause for celebration. We are heading off to the farm, for a load of composted manure! :weee

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 ,

You must be having fairly dramatic weather there in eastern Massachusetts.

Hurricane Lee was something of a glancing blow over the weekend. Luckily. That doesn't mean it wasn't a severe storm in some MA locations. But, there are still some serious storms.

Steve
We ended up with nada. I saw an interesting weather report before it came this way. The meteorologist said that historically this type of storm flattened out on the western side of the spin, because of track and ocean temps. It started up with some wind gusts, we took down some things that the storm got last time, hunkered down the tunnel greenhouse, and then the wind was gone. Just like the reporter said it would. I don't know if I ever told the story of my tunnel green house...2 years ago I think. A windy nor'easter it was. I told my husband I thought leaving both ends open was the best idea. He disagreed and said the opposite. (Very usual.) I ran in and asked advice on a tunnel greenhouse site and they said, "NO CLOSE IT UP!!!! SO I went out to look at it, and it seems the storm was starting to slow up. SO I said meh, went inside, and when I turned to look at it, one end flew aloft. I screamed, ran outside, son in law followed, and husband. WE had to yank It back to earth, and quickly take it down. So now we have the screw anchors cemented into the ground. If we get a big one again we will take down the covering. But our hurricane season should be done.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
forecast is for 80F and sunny today. will be outside some of it for sure. a breeze would be nice but i'm not seeing much of one at the moment.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like today may be the last warm sunny day, so I will harvest whatever I am able to while things are still dry. We have been begging for rain, and it looks like it is headed our way (25mm equals about an inch of precipitation). Hopefully it will be less than what this forecast is projecting, because this is a lot more than I was hoping for! :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_20230922_075048004.jpg
    IMG_20230922_075048004.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 64

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look at this rainstorm moving inland before daylight :).

Screenshot_20230927_083342_Chrome.jpg
I checked the radar in every direction last night about 8PM. There was no sign of any storm coming towards us over land from any direction. And yet, the Weather Service seemed to have absolute confidence of its arrival. I know that they are far better at predictions than I am. Obviously this was still out to sea at 8PM. Here it is, 12 hours later, 2000 feet higher, and 500 miles from where it made landfall.

Steve :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look at this rainstorm moving inland before daylight :).

View attachment 60895
I checked the radar in every direction last night about 8PM. There was no sign of any storm coming towards us over land from any direction. And yet, the Weather Service seemed to have absolute confidence of its arrival. I know that they are far better at predictions than I am. Obviously this was still out to sea at 8PM. Here it is, 12 hours later, 2000 feet higher, and 500 miles from where it made landfall.

Steve :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
No offense I'm going with the pros. Maybe the data you received was not updated.

it still is not an exact science. we get our forecasts in terms of percentages but that doesn't mean we get that in the end. sometimes they change the forecast from days ago in the last few minutes (which doesn't do me much good if i've made plans based upon their previous forecasts or have gone to sleep before they put up the frost warning as two examples).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dense fog this morning and 40°f (4°C) here at home.

I looked back through the history and this is the coolest morning since May. However, we have had a few low 40's mornings in every month this Summer. And, it was a hot Summer!

Just goes to show the bounciness of our growing seasons. I may not have complained too much about that in '23. Once we are into July, the plants can handle it a little better so they grew well.

Unexpected events kept me from the garden yesterday and that the grass won't be drying enough to mow anytime soon, is delaying me this morning. There may be little to harvest. I have become cautious about thinking that about the greenbeans, however. Their ability to handle cool, wet, late-season weather has surprised me several times. Not that we need more greenbeans – the freezers could be described as "stuffed."

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
froggy mornings here too for the next several days but the day is supposed to warm up and become sunny.

sunny enough that i'll try to get something done outside even if that means just cleaning out the bathroom exhaust screens and vents. i had to put screens in when the wasps/hornets kept wanting to put nests in them. the last time i cleaned them was when i put the screens in about 20 years ago. i noticed a few weeks ago that they were almost completely plugged up and not really doing much any more in letting the moist air out. which means that the fans in the bathrooms were mostly just redistributing the moisture from the showers into the house itself which is not really a big problem since we use the forced air heat in the winter and the AC enough in the summer to get extra moisture out of the house. i've certainly not noticed it being particularly damp in the house...

Last edited:

Latest posts