Your Weather, 2024

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have three nights next week forecast to get into the 40sF... so a definite cool down.

today we'll be out mowing and i should see if i can get some fresh beans picked this morning before i have to mow. Mom starts out and does the flat and more level areas and then when she gets to the back part i take over and finish it and then i do the ditches out front and then go over and mow the south side (which is the neighbor's property but we mow it to keep the weed and grass seeds from blowing into the gardens).

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am getting tired of the bad weather reporting on Weather.com, from the Weather Channel.
It used to be that 5 days out was iffy and the report day of was very good.
Not anymore.
They kept changing when/if we would get rain. It Makes a difference. Sometimes I leave my mowers and other equipment outside and I don't won't them to be rained on. I put mine away last night after I read that we would have rain early afternoon.
WRONG!
It rained last night about 3AM, then again about 1PM, none when predicted and now dry.
I know when/how much rain bc I have buckets that are left out, including pony feeding buckets AND my neighbors have a puddle that they get whenever we get a couple of inches, which I saw this morning.
I do better to read the clouds!
I can't tell by the clouds anymore.

We used to look up and know if a storm was coming in and the evening before if we were going to have a good day the next day. Now it's impossible to work out at all with all the grey coverage

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
At around 5.30 am we couldn't see for fog. It amazes me how planes can still fly in such density

It's raining right now and the forecast reads that we are due thunder storms

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Marie2020 , I know little to nothing about aviation but there's a small airport nearby that dates back to 1913 and the earliest years of human flight. Across the river is "Beacon Hill" at the foot of a mountain range. The beacon itself dates back nearly as far.

I have thought that the beacon might line-up with the runway but that couldn't make sense because aircraft would have to be flying over the mountains to be in line with prevailing winds. Finally got around to checking on the map. No, it just identifies the location in the valley below the mountains. The light helped but the advent of radar must have been a great step forward.

The temperature at this airport Sunday afternoon was 100⁰f (38⁰C). We have gone right back to near record highs. The much longer hours of darkness means a drop of 40⁰f or more in the overnight hours. (In fact, it's 55f [13⁰] here at home and not too far from that airport at 5am.) We have lost nearly 3 hours of daylight at this latitude!

Well, it makes for an easier time in keeping the house cool.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
71F and sunny today with a slight breeze, up to 87F by Thursday afternoon with evening showers predicted.

otherwise they've not changed the forecast for rains which is good because i'd like to get all the bean gardens picked through by then and it will probably take me all of that to get it done since i'm also weeding as i go.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice day light marine layer, mist and gentle breezes. High 68F 51F low. I went out early and sprayed around the foundation of the house with a squirrel away product . The ground squirrels are active early this year and dig tunnels around my fav trees and shrubs . Hoping they will relocate as some at the back foundation area have left for 4 days so far from the squirrel spay treatment. I think the cool weather the past few days has set them off to dig in early. It rained all night last night unheard of 👏 in Oregon in September . The weather man has mentioned El Niño will be coming this fall meaning a wetter colder winter. UGH😳.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Marie2020 , I know little to nothing about aviation but there's a small airport nearby that dates back to 1913 and the earliest years of human flight. Across the river is "Beacon Hill" at the foot of a mountain range. The beacon itself dates back nearly as far.

I have thought that the beacon might line-up with the runway but that couldn't make sense because aircraft would have to be flying over the mountains to be in line with prevailing winds. Finally got around to checking on the map. No, it just identifies the location in the valley below the mountains. The light helped but the advent of radar must have been a great step forward.

The temperature at this airport Sunday afternoon was 100⁰f (38⁰C). We have gone right back to near record highs. The much longer hours of darkness means a drop of 40⁰f or more in the overnight hours. (In fact, it's 55f [13⁰] here at home and not too far from that airport at 5am.) We have lost nearly 3 hours of daylight at this latitude!

Well, it makes for an easier time in keeping the house cool.

Steve
Thank you Steve :)

It's 16c and 76 humidity according to the forecast

I've seen higher humidity but it's not got inside the home as much as it has in my home the past couple of days. It's sticky and uncomfortable.

Yesterday the humidity outside reminded me of Malaysia many years ago. If course it was much hotter there and your clothes would stick to you. But still I really don't like this damp air that the slugs absolutely thrive in.

Last edited: