Your Weather, 2024

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that I have noticed some peculiarities about professional meteorologists. They are human and these traits aren't limited to them. But, despite their reliance on machines and computer models, these human traits shine through :).

First, it might be just a matter of definition but wind gusts are always, always underestimated. Perhaps the definition is for an averaging of maximum gusts when they say "up to" because they then record gusts that are 5 and more mph higher, as they occur.

Traits. They exercise greater caution for weekend forecasts. Understandable. If they want to avoid spoiling people's outdoor adventures, tell them conditions will be worse than they really think they will be. An abundance of caution sort of forecast ;).

Weather Changes are anticipated with some enthusiasm with these guys! Understandable again — it's their job and same, same, same-old must be quite boring. The result I see are local forecasts that anticipate change sooner than it occurs. To give them credit for their professionalism, these forecasts are invariably corrected as the day of the change in conditions comes closer. However, they are almost consistent in doing this and when it's combined with that weekend quirk mentioned above, it is especially obvious.

:D Steve, saturday now looks like a pleasant day with 100% chance of rain sunday

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had hoped for a warm, dry October but sadly it wasn't meant to be. We have received over 20cm (8") of rain over the weekend, a shocking total. Areas closer to the mountains got even more. The precipitation was accompanied by strong winds so the garden looks like an unmade bed; the remaining dahlias have been whipped around like crazy, and many plants have lodged and are lying on the ground. If it dries out today I will put on my rubber boots and venture out to see if any of the last beans or peppers can be salvaged. Our area drains well and there is sun in the forecast for Tuesday, so that should be a good day for cleaning up the mess in the yard. 🙃
I’ll trade your 8” of rain for my drought, unseasonal heat, dry brown grass and burn ban!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we did get some rain here Friday, but i'm not sure what the weekend will be like. that is all i can say from my comfy perch where i refuse to go poke at the weather forecast website. :)