Your Weather, 2024

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
PLEASE pray for the Southeast this weekend. A VERY POWERFUL STORM, HURRICAN HELENE, is about to make landfall in Florida. The entire state is under hurricane or tropical storm warnings.
The west coast of Florida will have, near where the landfall is expected, up to a 20 ft storm surge.
For those non-Americans, the seabeds off of our coastlines are very shallow, ESPECIALLY in the Gulf (Caribbean). THe Caribbean and Atlantic coastline ocean gets really hot in the summer. Right now the Caribbean temperatures are in the 80's F. This whips up the storm tides to create waves like you can do in a bathtub.
The Weather service predicted this system as a Probable hurricane some 5 days ago, and where the eye will make landfall.
🙏 🙏 🙏

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lots of rain in my area and same today and much cooler temps highs in the 60’s and a marine layer has socked us
in. These ole joints don’t need a weather forecaster to tell me it’s cold outside. I have the automatic joint reference going , tells me autumn is here and winter not far behind.

Last edited:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was raining so hard that they cancelled the farmers market in Manchester (city south of me) for this week. This came as a relief since I was vacillating about whether or not to make the trip.

I need to go to Rutland (city to my north) for some things that can't be had in Manchester, so I'll go there tomorrow when a sunny day is predicted. I'll have to settle for grocery store milk and grocery store potatoes this week, but I can get my banking done and some other errands too.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have an atmospheric river passing through with lots of rain for the past couple of days, so the remaining bean and sweet pea pods are molding instead of drying unfortunately. A big patch of lettuce that I was growing for seed is all grey and fuzzy too. Not much you can do about the weather. ;)

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We are getting first the rain from Helene, but not too much, and this afternoon we get the wind, 25-35mph winds, which are now blowing in NE Illinois, to where middle DD lives. We live ENE of Springfield.
S and SE of us are expecting over 50 mph gusts for the next 24 hrs, ALL courtesy of Helene. One article says that this rain should alleve our recent drought. Continue to pray for the SE where the flooding is horrible!! 🙏 🙏 🙏
1727455985929.png

Helene Makes Landfall: 6 Dead, 4 Million Without Power​

Last edited:

Latest posts